@leocg Thank you. Indeed, this was the first question I asked of them, and they confirmed they're not blocking as they understand the importance of security.
That said, I will check with them once again asking they further investigate their systems.
Interesting only the "Americas" setting works on the site in question, it's fine elsewhere.
Download Opera’s standalone installer for Windows with the required bit depth (32 or 64 bits).
Close your Opera browser, launch the downloaded installer and confirm "Update"
Thank you to all my friends in our Opera Community who offered their assistance.
In the end I gave up and uninstalled Stable 58....127 then "Re-installed" on my Win7 32-bit machine, after first backing up my speeddials.
It updated to Stable 60.0.3255.27
Interestingly, after going through the same process on my Win10 64-bit machine around 15mins later, Stable 58....127 updated to 60.0.3255.40
I had to do the same uninstall/Re-install process for the latest Stable update on my Win10 machine (though didn't need to backup my speeddials this time around).
Opera dev 59.0.3209.0 crashed at 46% every time whilst trying to update to .3218.0.
Dev .3218 crashed every time at around 46% whilst trying to update to .3228.
Deleting profile and restarting did not help, nor did running the installer. The crashing issue persisted when .3218 was in use, so I again cleared the system of all traces of dev .3218 as I did its previous update (mentioned above).
Successfully downloaded dev .3228 from beta, and dev no longer crashes when in use (this posted from dev .3228). Dev appears more stable with the latest update. We'll have to wait for the next dev update to check if the bugs are out.
Well done to Opera Devs.
As an aside, for me, the colour at the top is yuk! Just my opinion.
The layout at the top is much better, as is the O-Menu. Thank you.
OS: Windows 7 Pro, 32-bit
Hi sgun, I use Opera 'as is' [as I've almost always done] and without extensions cluttering up my systems. Naturally I tried without Opera VPN and Block adds, then restarted but it didn't resolve my problem.
Thing is my friend, we've just had Opera updates and that is when the issue started (all was okay the day before). My provider wont do anything further, as from their side of things all is working and displaying correctly. I would tend to agree from their standpoint, because IE and Vivaldi show me my account in good order, as Opera always did.
I hate using IE and would rather not use Vivaldi as I'm a passionate Opera fan.
All that has changed are Opera updates in this brief time.
I am not for one moment saying this issue is an Opera problem, but I cannot ignore the possibility. I am however still battling my provider to have an in-depth look at compatibility (which is difficult when they claim to have zero problems).
Opera has been my default browser for years with little problem, a point I made to my broadband provider, and the fact I have used Opera from the outset with my provider. So I am still looking into this matter.
Hi Leo & Sgun - Thanks for that input. I've noticed the Oops error has (for me) been a recent appearance though I can't pin down when it started. It either happens or it doesn't.
For that reason, I would tend to err more towards the suggestion Leo makes re server issue, which I think sounds more probable.
Perhaps this error will resolve itself once we get the new forums. It doesn't appear often with me, but was worth mentioning in case other users had the same.