I successfully uninstalled Opera Browser Assistant and it remained uninstalled after my last Opera update from within Opera itself.
Here I will share information about it, so others may benefit from it.
Uninstalling Opera while keeping your personal data and installing Opera again using the Offline Opera Installer no longer works te remove Opera Browser Assistant.
Apparently the installer now detects you had Opera Browser Assistant installed and installs it again.
Here is how I removed Opera Browser Assistant:
- Uninstall Opera without deleting your personal user data.
- Download and run the Offline Opera Installer.
- Do not start the installation yet, but open Explorer and go to the folder:
%localappdata%\Temp\.opera\Opera Installer Temp
- In this folder go to the folder containing the setup files. The folder is named like this:
- Delete the file named "extra_apps".
In my case Opera Browser Assistant was the only component listed in this file. You may want to edit this file if you have more components listed in this file.
Alternatively you can remove the folder "assistant" and leave the "extra_apps" file intact.
- You can now close Explorer and continue with Opera Installer.
- Set your preferred options in the Opera Installer and install Opera.
After this, new Opera versions downloaded by the Opera Update feature, no longer seem to include the Opera Browser Assistant package.