Do more on the web, with a fast and secure browser!

Download Opera browser with:

• built-in ad blocker
  • battery saver
  • free VPN
Download Opera

TrackPoint Scroll doesn't work (Lenovo ThinkPad)

• Hi,

I've just updated to the latest Opera 57 and the TrackPoint Scroll (hold middle mouse button and move TrackPoint up or down) stopped working. That's reallly annoying.
    Anybody else having this problem or a possible solution?

Now I've downloaded the last Opera 56 stable and I'll try to downgrade.
    Lacking such a crucial ability like scrolling a page is unacceptable for me.

• If you have a middle mouse button, you could use autoscroll. Just tap the middle button then move the pointer.

• The trackpoint autoscroll (when holding down the special middle button) is working for me in 57.0.3098.76 64-bit on Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Lenovo T520 + Synaptics driver 19.0.17.115. I think this driver is a generic driver from https://www.synaptics.com/ that I got to fix some issues with the touchpad not working for a sec after typing on Windows 10. However, I can't seem to find the generic drivers on their site anymore. I looked at https://www.synaptics.com/resources#drivers, but the download links are missing now. I see them on other sites though when searching Google. You might have to update your drivers. Lenovo's support site has really old drivers (for mine at least) that don't work well with Windows 10.

@sgunhouse said in TrackPoint Scroll doesn't work (Lenovo ThinkPad):

If you have a middle mouse button, you could use autoscroll. Just tap the middle button then move the pointer.

The button in question is different than a regular middle-click button. It's a button that you hold down the whole time when you're moving the trackpoint up and down or left and right on the laptop. You can't click it and release to autoscrol. It's in the middle of the left and right mouse buttons that are below the keyboard. These are separate from the left and right buttons below the trackpad.

• I'm running Windows 7 64-bit with Service Pack 1 on a Lenovo ThinkPad X61 Tablet and TrackPoint Software 4.73.1 (which seems to be the latest one available).

Opera Version 56.0.3051.116 is the last to support the TrackPoint Scrolling functionality.

Unfortunately on the latest Opera 57 Stable and Opera 59 Developer TrackPoint Scrolling doesn't work anymore.
    Horizontal Scrolling is working, but Vertical Scrolling isn't.

Therefore I have downgraded Opera to the latest 56 release, but I will lack all new features and bug fixes. Right now that seems to be a fair solution. Anyway, is there an option to disable automatic Updates of Opera so that I don't need to re-downgrade to Version 56 each time?

With the latest Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome and other Software like Total Commander, Windows Explorer, etc. the TrackPoint Scroll is working properly. So it is an Opera Issue.

Is there a chance this message reaches the Opera Developer Team, so they can work on it? Or am I doomed with my antique Hardware?

• @celadyn said in TrackPoint Scroll doesn't work (Lenovo ThinkPad):

Anyway, is there an option to disable automatic Updates of Opera

Close down Opera and rename opera_autoupdate.exe in Opera's program files folder. The one you want to rename is the one that's in the latest version folder.

• @celadyn said in TrackPoint Scroll doesn't work (Lenovo ThinkPad):

Is there a chance this message reaches the Opera Developer Team, so they can work on it?

There's a chance.

@celadyn said in TrackPoint Scroll doesn't work (Lenovo ThinkPad):

With the latest Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome

Can you test with Vivaldi, the latest snapshot of Vivaldi on the right side of https://vivaldi.com/blog/snapshots/, Chromium and Chrome Canary and report back if it's broken in any of them?

• I have just tested the TrackPoint on Wikipedia: Google with following browsers

WORKS:

• Opera Version: 56.0.3051.116, Update stream: Stable
    • Chromium Version 73.0.3638.0 (Developer Build) (64-bit)
    • Google Chrome Version 73.0.3637.0 (Official Build) canary (64-bit)
    • Vivaldi 2.1.1337.51 (Stable channel) (32-bit)
    • Vivaldi 2.2.1388.29 (Official Build) (32-bit)

DOESN'T WORK:

• Opera Version: 57.0.3098.91, Update stream: Stable
    • Opera Version: 59.0.3167.0, Update stream: developer