Do more on the web, with a fast and secure browser!

Download Opera browser with:

• built-in ad blocker
  • battery saver
  • free VPN
Download Opera

Search bar does not select all on click

• I am on version 55.0.2994.61. Previously when you click into the URL/search bar, the current URL gets "select all'd" and you can just start typing a new address. Now, a text input cursor just appears at the end of the URL string. I am not sure if this was intentional or not. Alt+D still works to highlight the entire thing, and I can train myself to use that instead of clicking. Just thought I'd mention it in case it's not on purpose.

• I couldn't reproduce it here, all URL is highlighted when I click on the address bar.

• @leocg Thank you for checking. For me, it only happens when I click on empty whitespace in the URL bar. If I click on the URL itself, it highlights just fine. Not sure if that may make a difference.

• By empty space you mean in the beginning or the end of the URL? If so then I guess it's expected that the URL is not selected.

• I can't reproduce this in 55.0.2994.61 on Windows 10. If the address field isn't focus and I click it, all of the address field text gets selected, even if I click left or right of the URL.

Now, if the address field is already focused and the text is already selected, and I left-click anywhere in the address field, all the of text is deselected and the input cursor is positioned where I clicked. This part is normal.

• @burnout426 Thank you for checking. Yes, for me it happens when the address bar is not in focus, but interestingly, the URL does quickly highlight, but then de-highlights itself and the input cursor blinks at the end of the address. Since it's just happening for me, it must be my computer; I'll play around. Thank you (and @leocg!) for your time.

• @intlv said in Search bar does not select all on click:

I am on version 55.0.2994.61. Previously when you click into the URL/search bar, the current URL gets "select all'd" and you can just start typing a new address. Now, a text input cursor just appears at the end of the URL string. I am not sure if this was intentional or not.

I can confirm this happening to me also on 55.xxx and earlier versions. I never figured out why it happened.

I don't think it has happened on 56.xxx yet.