Do more on the web, with a fast and secure browser!

Download Opera browser with:

• built-in ad blocker
  • battery saver
  • free VPN
Download Opera

Some questions regarding passphrase on sync

• @leocg Could you please clarify a bit to help Users grok to a "Best Practices" model for using Sync? I've been reading several threads on this Sync topic, and there are too many IF-THEN one-shot answers without connecting the dots about the PROS and CONS of using a Sync passphrase as an addition to your Opera Browser login authentication:

@leocg said in Opera is asking me for a passphrase:

A passphrase should only be asked if the user have created one.

a) You say IF: Thus: what is the purpose of the Sync passphrase? What is the value to the User vs NOT having one?

(b) What is the downside to having one?
    According to the longtime Opera for Android user @slytheringirl it's this:

The passphrase is the password you use for sync, not the one you use to sign into Opera. Sadly, Opera android/mobile does not support the sync passphrase which is a major problem that has been going on for as long as I can remember and has no sign of ever being fixed by the devs. If you actually have a sync passphrase as well as a Opera password, the only way to sync your devices is to reset the sync data. It'll keep the data on your devices so nothing should be lost, just the data on the cloud will be lost.

And other users have posted similar, to the effect "DO NOT CREATE OR USE A PASSPHRASE — it will mess everything up limiting your ability to save and see the data you are looking for"

Sounds to me like it's a sequencing issue of when you actually started using a Sync passphrase, with very different "THEN" parts to the outcome and expected behavior from Sync. This would be a great place to clarify using the 2 different scenarios:

(1) USER A has been syncing mobile/desktop for X time without ever using a passphrase.

(a) What has User A been missing all this time?
    (b) Is the recommendation for User A to now CREATE a Sync Passphrase?
    (c) If so, what will she lose as a tradeoff? (Does all of her former Sync data get nuked from the server requiring that she starts over from zero?)
    (d) Assuming User A has had a ton of bookmarks and folders, would it then be better for User A to not create a Sync passphrase?
    (e) What is User A losing if she doesn't create a Sync passphrase?

(2) USER B is just now starting to use Opera mobile apps and is about to start using SYNC

(a) When User B begins following the UI steps to begin with SYNC, is User B prompted to create a Passphrase?
    (b) Is it required now?
    (c) What does User B gain or lose from creating a Passphrase?

Helpers usually can't stand these multi-part questions, and would rather refer user to an FAQ. If there really is an FAQ that goes through both cases of User A and User B, I would happily just go read it if you can provide the link. Thanks very much!

• When you use a passphrase, all your synced data is encrypted, while the when you don't use one, only saved passwords are encrypted.

• Current version of Opera for Android supports the use of passphrase on sync, so some arguments you've posted are no longer valid.