Do more on the web, with a fast and secure browser!

Download Opera browser with:

• built-in ad blocker
  • battery saver
  • free VPN
Download Opera

Are Speed Dial tiles being forced on us?

• I have ample evidence of my repeatedly deleting them and them coming back anyway. Often, it's not even after a version upgrade, it's just some random time.

alt text

• You need to empty your trash for it to work.

• That's intriguing, but I don't know what you mean. For what to work?

Are you saying that items in Trash will automatically resurrect? If so, why? I'm not seeing the subtraction of any items in Trash, btw, just the addition of them each time that I delete them from Speed Dial. I would think that if they were resurrecting then they should be moving out of Trash each time.

• Items in Trash have a history of reappearing, yes. Every once in a while the default speed dials will still reappear - this last Developer update gave me 4-5, but prior to that I'd seen only a couple in about a year.

• @sgunhouse OK, I cleared them out. That'll hopefully slow this down.

• @rseiler Even with nothing in Trash, all seven came back today the day after the new dev build. I'll try to notice if this repeats before the next build.

• @rseiler

+1

• Somehow this continues to this day, even with the very latest versions, though now not usually at all close to the time of a version upgrade.

I've noticed that along with the spam Speeddials, Opera inexplicably disables extensions (at least it tells you that it's doing so now, which is probably why I'm noticing it).

I wonder if the two phenomenons are connected.

If so, maybe it's the spam Speeddials being injected that somehow causes Opera to want to disable extensions (that makes more sense than it being the other way around, at least).

That might make it a case of one hand of Opera (the one injecting SpeedDials) not communicating with the other hand of Opera (the one looking for suspicious events, and maybe disabling extensions when it thinks something is wrong)?

• The extension thing is a bug and should be fixed in the latest build.

Looks like your connection to Opera forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.