Removing the default search engines

  • In a year-old post here user l33t4opera describes a way to remove the default search engines. Like the OP in said thread, I'd like to free up the 'y' keyword so I can use it for Youtube.

    Well, I followed the instructions and renamed default_partner_content.json. After reloading the browser, however, nothing changes. I tried deleting the file as well, and it isn't even being replaced.

    What am I doing wrong? Has Opera changed the way this is handled?

  • Has Opera changed the way this is handled?

    Yes

  • Shit. Seems we're out of luck. Thanks for the info anyway.

  • @orangehorizon @g00g00 There is another way to do it:

    1. Open opera://about/, copy the path to the profile (Paths - Profile), and also make a note of the path to the installation root (Paths - Install), close the browser,

    2. Open your file explorer, and navigate to the directory of your profile, copy the siteprefs.json file to the installationroot\operaversion\resources subfolder, eg. installationroot\32.0.1948.69\resources,

    3. Rename the default_partner_content.json to eg. default_partner-old, and rename siteprefs.json to default_partner_content.json, and then set the read-only permission to this file (this is essential, to make it work).

    In case, that there's no the siteprefs.json file, you can use this one.

    :beer:

  • One important thing, that I forgot to mention :doh: - if the default_partner_content.json exists also in the profile directory, then delete it, because otherwise the above solution is not going to work :spock:

  • @thatism3 If I delete the default_partner_content.json in the profile directory, Opera fails to launch, saying that a '.pak file' is corrupt.

  • @orangehorizon You need to follow all the steps:

    1. Copy the siteprefs.json from the profile's folder to the installationroot\operaversion\resources subfolder,

    2. Rename default_partner_content.json (this one in the installation root) to default_partner-old, and rename siteprefs.json to default_partner_content.json, and then set read-only permission on this file,

    3. Remove the default_partner_content.json from the profile's folder.

  • @thatism3 I skipped the renaming. Works like a charm, thanks!

  • What happens when Opera updates itself; we I have to re-do this workaround??

  • Probably. I noticed a few days ago that Yahoo had replaced my Youtube keyword again... So either they fixed the loophole, or you'll have to re-apply the fix once in a while.

  • What happens when Opera updates itself; we I have to re-do this workaround??

    Yes.

  • Am not able to find the installationroot folder in mac.

    Paths: install /applications/opera .... but can't find the versionfolder within there!!!!

  • Am not able to find the installationroot folder in mac.

    You will have better luck in the Mac Forum

  • @tempblbu On Mac, the default_partner_content.json should be located in /Applications/Opera.app/Contents/Versions/33.0.1990.115/Opera\ Framework.framework/Resources.

  • Thanks @thatism3 , it worked.

  • @orangehorizon @g00g00 There is another way to do it:

    1. Open opera://about/, copy the path to the profile (Paths - Profile), and also make a note of the path to the installation root (Paths - Install), close the browser,
    2. Open your file explorer, and navigate to the directory of your profile, copy the siteprefs.json file to the installationroot\operaversion\resources subfolder, eg. installationroot\32.0.1948.69\resources,
    3. Rename the default_partner_content.json to eg. default_partner-old, and rename siteprefs.json to default_partner_content.json, and then set the read-only permission to this file (this is essential, to make it work).
      In case, that there's no the siteprefs.json file, you can use this one.

    One important thing, that I forgot to mention :doh: - if the default_partner_content.json exists also in the profile directory, then delete it, because otherwise the above solution is not going to work :spock:

    Thanks @thatism3, your method works. Tested on Opera 33, default search engines removed.

  • tempblbu, don't forget you will have to do this each time Opera updates itself.

  • I got tired of moving these files around by hand, so I decided to cook up a batch file that automates the process. You can grab it here: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Aig3l4twxcKyz3FszC9VS-22q6rK

    Just run it, allow it administrator access, select the right folder and bam: no more sponsored search engines.

    The administrator access is needed to mess around in Program Files (x86). If you have disabled UAC this prompt might be unnecessary, though I'm not sure.

    If you're still on a 32-bit OS you'll have to edit the batch file (right click > Edit) and remove the (x86) from Program Files (x86).

    Credits:
    The folder browser
    The administrator prompt

    Enjoy (and let's hope the devs don't find out about this).

Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to Opera forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.