First of all, I am really sorry about your wasted data plan. The good news is that we have identified an issue affecting some subset of Android phones and the fix is on the way. Can you please try to install Opera Mini beta 35.1 from Google Play and check if it works for you with High mode? A confirmation that it works would be very helpful for us.
Posts made by mbaluta
RE: Data Savings Apparently Completely Disabled in Latest Update?!Opera Mini
RE: Opera Mini seems NOT to compress data on Blackberry 10 OS. Ideas?Other phones
If you try to gzip all the text that is on the page, you get 44kB of data. You could possibly go below with some different compression algorithm, but not very much.
Opera Mini compression will be visible more likely on some more advanced pages with CSS, JS, images etc. On the page provided, there's simply not much that can be compressed.
RE: How to detect if Extreme Data Saving Mode is enabled?Opera Mini
RE: CSS Guidelines / GuidanceOpera Mini
First of all we are really glad to help webdevelopers in making their sites work good in Opera Mini.
In general CSS support is really similar to what you have in Opera 12.16/12.18 so you can test your site first in old Opera desktop browser as it's probably much faster way to develop. There are some exceptions and differences:
- in most cases possible font-sizes are limited to some subset, I described it in detail in another topic, notably this subset differs between devices,
- line-height is disabled at the moment, though we consider enabling it in the future, so please don't make assumptions on this,
- padding should work fine,
- elements with position: fixed are rendered as they were with position: absolute - they don't stick in viewport when you scroll,
- no CSS transitions, limited transforms support,
- broken complex flexbox-based layouts, simple things may work,
- some other minor things.
Regarding tests you can perform at css3test or w3c sites: they show what the engine supports, but a lot of things are changed on transformation to OBML.
If you have any specific issues you can always post your page or example problem here and I can assist on possible solutions/workarounds.
RE: CSS Font-size not changeable on Opera Mini Extreme modeOpera Mini
Allowed font sizes are indeed trimmed to some subset (which may vary between devices). In normal case you should see a difference between 12 and 19px though... Don't you have "Single column view" enabled in settings? If this is the case, then very likely page layout (including font sizes) is pretty broken.
If text hierarchy is really important to emphasize in your case, then you have few options:
- try wider scale of font sizes, maybe just this 12 and 19px was an unfortunate pick,
- use color scale to achieve hierarchy,
- use bold text to emphasize text that would normally be slightly bigger.
If you care more about your website looking great, then you need to understand that typically websites look slightly worse in Opera Mini and our users are often used to this. If your page is readable and usable in Opera Mini, but doesn't look great, maybe that's still enough?
In any case, please note that the same page might render in different way on different devices. Especially we are working on font rendering in new clients, so actually this part might change soon (you might have a look at your page using Extreme mode in Opera Mini beta).
RE: Opera Mini can not able to attach any PhotoOpera Mini
Thank you for reporting this. This happen is other browsers as well, so there is some issue on Facebook side. I will report it to them. Do you know when this started happening?
For now, you can simply attach photos by clicking "Comment" button next to "Like" and "React" button, it should open photo upload form, which works well.
RE: Can't use Wi-Fi on opera miniOpera Mini
Can you please answer the following questions?
- Which country are you from?
- What is your mobile operator?
- Which version of Opera Mini do you have? You can find it in settings.
- Can you please try to open bbc.com in 3 compression modes when connected with WiFi: Extreme, High, Disabled and check if the page loads