Can Google account tracking be disabled?

• I've just switched from Chrome to Opera (which I know is based on the Chrome engine.) The reason I left Chrome was that I could find no way to make it forget a Google identity once I had logged in, short of deleting the current profile. Does Opera offer such a capability? Or is it a condition of Opera's adopting Chrome that Google retain its stranglehold on user data?

• Don't know if i understood correctly your question but you don't need a Google account to use Opera.

• I appreciate that. What I mean is that, if I log in to a Google account, the login details are kept. I log out. Then I want to log in again. possibly to a different Google account. What I get is a login screen with the previous login id hard-coded into the page. From there I can "Manage accounts on this computer" or some such, but I can't make the browser forget the first id, except by "delete user profile," which seems to want to teach me a lesson by deleting everything, including all open tabs.

So, what I want to do is have Opera break any connection between the browser an those previous login details, so that, as far as Opera and Google are concerned, I have never logged in to Google from Opera as that user.

• Originally posted by pbw:

What I mean is that, if I log in to a Google account, the login details are kept. I log out. Then I want to log in again. possibly to a different Google account. What I get is a login screen with the previous login id hard-coded into the page.

Not sure but i think Opera may remember your last login on a page, but if you want to login with another username/account, you can just type it or use the down arrow key (if it's a login already used).

Also note that Opera does not support profiles.

• This may not even be a problem in Opera. I have been able to log in to Blogger, Gmail and GMaps accounts, logging out in between, and being offered a n empty login screen each time. My move to Opera may be exactly the right thing.

Looks like your connection to Opera forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.