Do more on the web, with a fast and secure browser!

Download Opera browser with:

  • built-in ad blocker
  • battery saver
  • free VPN
Download Opera

Where do Opera 12.16 users go now Opera is dead?

  • I'm currently testing elinks+irssi+mutt. Looks promising. Even more keyboard and mouse configurability than Opera had. For the graphical web, Conkeror and Luakit seem to do the trick currently.

    Anyway, all this is much harder to set up than Opera Presto. It's truly baffling what an amazing feature set, interface, and unique rendering engine - all in one - has been dumped.

  • Some of the Links varieties are quite lovely, aren't they? But I didn't know about the extensive keyboard and mouse configurability?

  • Originally posted by Frenzie:

    Some of the Links varieties are quite lovely, aren't they? But I didn't know about the extensive keyboard and mouse configurability?

    A sample from my ~/.elinks/elinks.conf

    bind "main" "Up" = "move-link-up"
    bind "main" "Left" = "move-link-left-line"
    bind "edit" "Shift-Insert" = "paste-clipboard"
    bind "edit" "Tab" = "auto-complete"
    bind "main" "q" = "quit"
    bind "main" "y" = "history-move-back"
    bind "main" "l" = "link-menu"
    bind "main" "L" = "goto-url-current-link"
    

    You can re-bind all this stuff the same way in irssi and mutt too.

    Edit: As to mouse, this applies when you know how to configure terminals. Console programs themselves don't support mouse, but terminals do. For example I have configured a left-click in xterm to do select-and-copy-to-clipboard at one go.

  • ack, also looking for something I can migrate to ... but alas where can I get all the convenience features of 12 I use every day? Until now my search turned up with no results 😞

  • Originally posted by ersi:

    A sample from my ~/.elinks/elinks.conf

    I guess that's an exclusive elinks feature? man links2 only mentions the default keys (which are quite useful, of course). In any case, I'll have to check out elinks.

    Originally posted by serious:

    ack, also looking for something I can migrate to ... but alas where can I get all the convenience features of 12 I use every day? Until now my search turned up with no results

    Fwiw, Iceweasel (Firefox) and Links2 are my most-used browsers after Opera.

  • Originally posted by misteromar:

    Where do Opera 12.6 users go now Opera is dead?

    Since there is no Opera 12.6, there are no Opera 12.6 users. So they can't go anywhere because they don't exist.

  • Originally posted by misteromar:

    I was wondering where the majority of Opera's user base will be migrating too?

    The majority of Opera's user base will keep using Opera.

  • Originally posted by LeoCG:

    The majority of Opera's user base will keep using Opera.

    That is an opinion thus has no credence.

  • Originally posted by LeoCG:

    Originally posted by misteromar:

    I was wondering where the majority of Opera's user base will be migrating too?

    The majority of Opera's user base will keep using Opera.

    Absolutely correct. The truth is, the majority of Opera users never even bother with these forums. There are only a handful of disgruntled whiners and even their number is dwindling. No doubt some of them have departed but others will take their place as the new browser develops. Opera users will remain Opera users. Good call.

  • Thanks for the suggestions so far, keep em coming.

    I suppose we can continue on with 12.16 for while but the change is inevitable so we may as well start exploring the option and mentally preparing for it.

    Originally posted by leushino:

    Absolutely correct. The truth is, the majority of Opera users never even bother with these forums. There are only a handful of disgruntled whiners and even their number is dwindling. No doubt some of them have departed but others will take their place as the new browser develops. Opera users will remain Opera users. Good call.

    First part is correct many dont/wont bother with the forums but you're delusional if think many users wont dump Opera when all the customisability and features they use it for are gone.

    It has to be the biggest blunder since 'New Coke', except Coke were eventually smart enough to a 180 before it was too late.

  • W-h-a-t-e-v-e-r. Opera will be just fine without a host of whiners. The truth is, it's growing whether you want to accept that fact or not. Customizability and unique features are being returned. The new browser is a complete rewrite from the ground up. Use an older version until such time as the new browser suits your requirements. In the meantime, relax. Life is good.

  • Originally posted by leushino:

    Opera will be just fine without a host of whiners.

    same goes for trolls ... just saying...

  • Originally posted by Luxor:

    Originally posted by LeoCG:

    The majority of Opera's user base will keep using Opera.

    That is an opinion thus has no credence.

    If Opera gets the import of old settings (e.g. keyboard bindings, search engines, etc.) and features (e.g. UserJS) down a bit better than it is now, it might just be the least amount of effort to switch to Opera even if e.g. Firefox might ultimately be a slightly better experience overall.

    Of course if they don't improve migration, all bets are off. I think bookmarks, search engines, and possibly speed dials are probably the most important.

    Originally posted by serious:

    same goes for trolls ... just saying...

    :lol:

  • Originally posted by serious:

    Originally posted by leushino:

    Opera will be just fine without a host of whiners.

    same goes for trolls ... just saying...

    You know... the word "troll" has become a ubiquitous one. Everyone makes use it of to label those with whom they happen to disagree. I'm a troll in your eyes because I defend Opera's decisions in addition to holding a mirror up to the eyes of those who threaten to abandon it for some other browser. If that helps you keep your little world nice and orderly... putting me in my little niche and so-and-so in his, then by all means: I'm a troll. You on the other hand have nothing more than valid things to say and have never trolled the Opera forums. Tell you what Mr. Serious who won't even use his name. I'm going to place you on Ignore and I would urge you to do the same in regard to me. And I'm sure that Opera will take no notice of either of us. :whistle:

  • Originally posted by serious:

    Originally posted by leushino:

    Opera will be just fine without a host of whiners.

    same goes for trolls ... just saying...

    :lol:

    Opera has lost its identity and now it identifies itself as chrome. There are now three main browsers left IE,firefox and chrome(all others are clones of these three and you can find hybrids also :p )

    Where do Opera 12.16 users go now Opera is dead

    I cannot find any alternative to Opera 12, so currently using Opera 12.6 and waiting to try that final version of new opera when the devs say that almost all Opera 12 features has been added and then finally decide whether to stick with new opera or change to Firefox.

  • j4jasbir

    version of new opera when the devs say that almost all Opera 12 features has been added

    When they said that what you mentioned about? I've read only about opposite plans from devs.

  • Originally posted by STNG:

    j4jasbir

    version of new opera when the devs say that almost all Opera 12 features has been added

    When they said that what you mentioned about? I've read only about opposite plans from devs.

    Please see below link
    http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/2013/07/02/opera-15

    We have neither asked nor forced our 12.x users to upgrade to Opera 15, as we know that some features that are important to you are still to come. So, while you are very welcome to test and use Opera 15, Opera 12.x will still be alive for some time. You can expect that we will keep Opera 12.x up to date and secure. In the future, once we are comfortable with the feature set, we may ask you to upgrade

  • Originally posted by j4jasbir:

    [
    We have neither asked nor forced our 12.x users to upgrade to Opera 15, as we know that some features that are important to you are still to come. So, while you are very welcome to test and use Opera 15, Opera 12.x will still be alive for some time. You can expect that we will keep Opera 12.x up to date and secure. In the future, once we are comfortable with the feature set, we may ask you to upgrade

    There is clearly no indication that "almost all" of 12.xx's features should be restored in Opera/Blink.
    Also, they mentioned about future of the Opera(Blink) earlier: "it won't be a clone of Opera 12" and "...over the years, Presto-based Opera had become overloaded with features, a number of them confusing rather than helping our users" (source: desktop team blog).

  • Originally posted by misteromar:

    I have used Opera since the shareware days but the new versions of Opera are trash, just other browsers rebadged and lack all the things that made Opera great.

    I was wondering where the majority of Opera's user base will be migrating too? What are the commonly accepted best replacements?

    I really like the idea of changing to a new rendering engine. Presto is hopeless for things like printing, copying page content to other documents, etc. And I think Opera are quite right to decide it's a waste of their time maintaining their own, unique rendering engine.

    So, I'm keen to move over to the new Opera. BUT, the loss of those key features that made Opera so very special is a showstopper for me. The latest beta build isn't even close to 12.16 for features. Therefore I looked at all the other major browsers, hoping to find one with a better rendering engine (proper printing, copy/paste, etc) combined with most of Opera's key UI features that I cannot live without.

    It can't be done! The only way to get close to replicating 12.16 is to use 12.16, and that means you're stuck with Presto. The closest I've got so far is Firefox laden with various extensions, but it still isn't close enough. Have you tried getting a decent Speed Dial that actually works with the latest version of FF and doesn't break the Tab Mix Plus extension that you also need to make FF usable? It's a nightmare!

    So, it looks like my dream of keeping Opera features but with a better rendering engine are dead. Right now it's a toss-up between FF (better printing, copy/paste, etc, but clunky UI) and Opera 12.16 (crap printing and copy/paste, perfect UI).

    😞

  • Originally posted by STNG:

    There is clearly no indication that "almost all" of 12.xx's features should be restored in Opera/Blink.
    Also, they mentioned about future of the Opera(Blink) earlier: "it won't be a clone of Opera 12" and "...over the years, Presto-based Opera had become overloaded with features, a number of them confusing rather than helping our users" (source: desktop team blog).

    Yep, Opera Blink will not be a clone of Opera Presto with a new engine and this was an excellent decision they made.

    Better having an Opera with less but useful for (almost) all people features than one with lots of features that 99% of people really don't need.

Log in to reply