Do more on the web, with a fast and secure browser!

Download Opera browser with:

• built-in ad blocker
  • battery saver
  • free VPN
Download Opera
  • Hey all!

I'm a big fan of keyboard shortcuts. Concerning browser usage, CTRL+W is one of my favs to close tabs.

However, though I have Speed Dial already turned off in settings, closing the last tab in Opera via CTRL+W opens a Speed Dial tab instead of closing the browser entirely. All other browsers close the browser application upon CTRL+W on the last tab.

How can I make this happen with Opera? I'd prefer the industry standard as I'm not a fan of ALT, X to make it happen.

Thanks much!

• @operan00b Opera doesn't close itself when the last tab is closed, so there is no way to do that.

And closing the last tab opens a new start page, which contains speed dial. You can disable speed dials in settings page, like you said.

• So Opera doesn't follow the industry standard and instead, spawns the very thing users have configured in Settings to not show itself.

Got it. Disappointing, but got it.

• @operan00b go to "opera:settings/shortcuts" (from the address bar), disable "Hold Ctrl+Q (or press it twice) to quit Opera" - of course if you don't want to use this function, and you can use "Ctrl+Q" to quit the browser immediately.
    You can also add custom shortcut for that, go to "opera:settings/keyboardShortcuts", search for "exit" (from the search box), press "Type a shortcut" on the left of "Exit", and press e.g. "Alt+E".
    You can even assign "Ctrl+W" for that and it will work, but since you use it for closing a tab, you will need to add a different shortcut for it ;-)

Additional notice: if you also want to be able to exit the browser immediately (without a warning) when you have open window with multiple tabs / multiple tabs open, go to "opera:settings/userInterface" and uncheck two options: "Warn on closing window with multiple tabs" and "Warn on quitting Opera with multiple tabs open".

• Very good @leocg! I'll tinker with things. Thanx much for the #NerdyGoodness!

• @operan00b Yes, Opera does better. have the whole browser closed when you close, many times by mistake, the last tab is something that other browsers should already have revised.