Cannot access (download?) to view .mp4 video files.

• When I attempt to access (presumably to download) an .mp4 video Opera displays screensful of random ASCII characters. As a guess Opera is trying to utilise Windows Media Player. Is there a setting I can make to assist Opera? Windows Media Player as a plugin/addon perhaps?

• Opera should be able to play a MP4 file, depending on the codec it uses. If it is displaying some weird characters then there is a chance that the site is sending wrong info to Opera.

Right click on the link, save the file and try to open it in Opera to see if it plays.

What's your version of Opera, OS and link to the file?

• @leocg Thank you for your response; it is much appreciated :smile:

(And I have not seen such a comprehensive collection of Emoji. Quite incredible!)

These two screenshots seem to illustrate what I'm seeing:

link text

And version information and OS:

link text

The link to the file is:

link text

In the past I've used 'MSI Web Video' to produce shockwave flash (.swf) files that rendered okay in Opera. See, for example:

link text

Eric Carwardine alias Randomist

• @leocg The direct link to the file didn't post correctly. It should be:

link text

Eric alias Randomist

• I've downloaded the video and played it in Opera without any problems. It means that the problem is probably on the page itself, maybe the wrong mime type is being sent to Opera.

BTW, the same problem happens on Edge and Firefox tries to download the file instead of trying to play it.

• @leocg Streaming video is a complex topic. Simply uploading an .mp4 (or an .avi) file to a website is not sufficient. I'll need to look further.

Looks like your connection to Opera forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.