Please make sure to finish all your posts before this time. The downtime should only last for a few minutes.
Sync stopped working in Opera 49
Not much else to say. 49.0.2695.0 (PGO), Win 10 x64. Worked perfectly for weeks, maybe months, today it just shows the red cross, after I try to sign in "something went wrong". This happened in the past I believe, there was an opera page or something that showed more details about the error, but I can't find the topic any more and don't remember it. On my phone it looks like I am still signed in.
So, is it from me? Or is the service down? Thanks.
OK I found the old topic and the page I had to visit, error is
Error Type DISABLED_BY_ADMIN
Error Description Broken developer build
I think it's similar to the past issue.
Here too, seems like so. I didn't notice Opera update between before and after it stopped working, though. Unless the sync isn't run when Opera first opens, and only after a set time since last update, because it was working when I first opened it some 24h earlier, and the message only came up at around 12h earlier, and I didn't close it in between, neither noticed it restart by itself.
I am having this problem too, it started today after I updated to 49.0.2695.0, but I'm on Xubuntu 17.04 amd64.
When I try to login, many messages appear on the file .xsession-errors. Some of them have what appear to be hashes, so they may contain sensitive information. I have removed the hashes from the messages: https://pastebin.com/0fhBR548
will be waiting for a fix because mine is not working too..
I noticed the same thing today as well. Anticipating a fix soon.
Due to issue with sync introduced in Opera 49.0.2579 sync is currently disabled on two last public developer releases (49.0.2579 and 49.0.2595).