:tools: Scheduled maintenance

Heads up! Downtime for the Forums, related to the NodeBB upgrade, is planned for Thursday, December 14, starting from 10:00 UTC.
Please make sure to finish all your posts before this time. The downtime should only last for a few minutes.

How to disable changing settings?

• Hello.

I would like to know how I can disable changing the settings in Opera. I have found out that the settings are saved in C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Opera Software\Opera Stable\preferences. If I make this file read-only, the settings will always go back to its previous state when I re-start Opera, but I can still change the settings for the current session (seems like the temporary settings are saved into a different file somewhere). I would like to block changing the settings completely and at all times. Is this possible in any way?

Thank you in advance for your help.

• I don't think there is a way to do it.

• I've tried copying my Prefs, Current Session and Local State to a new profile and put them as Read only and the trick seems to work.
    Any change during the sessions is temporary saved but once restarted keeps my original settings.

Don't know if the temporary settings are saved into another file or into the Ram, until the reboot, take a look here too.
    I used a modified shortcut pointing to that profile to run it.

Maybe not just put the file as Read only but delete unneeded users from Security tab.

--

Opera Stable - Latest version
    Windows 10 x64 AU - Professional

• zalex108: That's the same thing I did, but I need to disable any temporary changes during the session as well.

• It would be better to deploy Chrome to your users. It is a web browser everyone is already familiar with anyway. (You may have to blacklist the URLs if there is no direct setting for it.)

• tufuzay: I don't want to torture anyone with Chrome.

• Nobody knows a solution? :/

• Nobody knows a solution?

I don't think it's possible. You may need to lock the preferences file.

• Old Opera (based on Presto) had a way, but I'm not sure they managed to port it to Chromium. :(

• I am not agree, give me other way.

Looks like your connection to Opera forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.