Opera 45: Problems with Video Playback

• Hello everyone,

I have the following problem with Opera (Version 45):
    When I try to watch (some) Videos on Youtube, I get the following error message:
    "Your browser doesn't know any avaliable video formats"
    (may not be 100% accurate, I have to translate it from german.
    Strangely, this doesn't happen to all videos, only to some. After I refresh the page with the video that wasn't working, it sometimes starts to work..

I have the same problem on Twitch (Error Message: "No supported video backend avaliable; Flash is not installed).
    There it happens to all streams however.
    I checked the Opera settings, flash is enabled there.

The error occured yesterday, I switched to Opera two days ago.
    I have my 2nd PC running side-by-side to my main one, also running Opera in the same Version, installed on the same day.
    All Settings are exactly the same.
    There I dont have any problems like that.

I already tried re-installing Opera, unfortunately it didn't work..

Thanks in advance!

• Can't help with YouTube, unfortunately. Having enough troubles of my own with Opera and videos!

Anyone any idea why none of these Reuters videos will play?

http://www.reuters.com/video

Win 8, Opera 45.0.2552.881, Flash 27.0.0.171

Flash is installed and working OK on other sites, HTML 5 video working OK on other sites. AdBlocker On/Off, makes no difference.

Play fine even in IE v10!

• It works here (Twich - Reuters videos) without flash installed despite seems Html5.

Opera AdBlocker and extensions enabled.

You may try with a Private window Ctrl+Shift+N or a clean profile or download this as a clean profile.

• Thanks zalex108, clearing the Opera profile has sorted out the Reuters problem. Now I just have to recreate my original settings etc!

• Oh dear! A word of warning to anyone before they do this.

I renamed the old profile folder to *.OLD hoping to keep the original and all it's setting files. The newer version of Opera seems to have a new approach and rather than just recreating a new unpopulated profile folder it wiped the old one out. So I have now lost all my bookmarks, settings etc. 馃槥

So if you create a new clean profile be sure to take a backup of the old one first.

• Thanks for your answers!

Unfortunately a private window or creating a new profile didn't help.
    I also tried copying the profile from the working PC, no success either.

From what I know, Twitch is using HTML5 too.
    When I manually install Flash it works, but I am asuming I dont need to manually install Flash on my PC?
    It works on my other PC and in other browsers, without having Flash installed.

• Hah! Just refound the old Opera profile folder. 馃檪

Was looking in the wrong directory - there are so many of them nowadays!

• Take a look here.
    Using OSync also helps for some things.

If a clean profile doesn't fix the problem, then reinstall Opera and check what happens, maybe something broken.

• reuters.com acts that way for me too. It might be 3rd party cookies or some other setting - not sure. But reuters.tv always works and some of their other links in stories occasionally work. I always have flash disabled in the chromium based browsers, and not installed in the others. There are very few sites that still suck as far as needing flash - but they are evolving.

• You may try deleting the problematic site cookies but in a a private window cookies are skipped, so if the site still fails then a clean profile is needed.

• I have already tried reinstalling Opera (both while deleting my profile and keeping it).
    Didn't work either.

Something else, that might be worth mentioning, is that I am using Windows Server 2016 as my OS.
    I doubt that it makes a difference however, since other browsers are working fine..

OSync didn't help too.

• Take a look at opera://media-internals/ while trying to play the videos and check if there are error messages.

• When having just two tabs open (twitch + opera://media-internals/) it doesn't show any players (nothing unter Audio and Video Capture either).
    The Youtube-problem seems like is has fixed itself, I am only experiencing issues with Twitch at the moment.

• When having just two tabs open (twitch + opera://media-internals/) it doesn't show any players

Does Twitch use Flash? If so then nothing will be shown on media-internals.

Does opera://gpu says that video decode uses hardware acceleration?

• I think Twitch is using HTML5 for about a year now. This is weird however, because the error says "Flash is not installed".

In opera:// gpu it says, that Video Decode is Hardware accelerated.
    Here is a screenshot of the page, in case it is needed:

https://abload.de/img/operaciuv5.png

Looks like your connection to Opera forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.