Frequently Asked Questions (Opera for Windows) Updated: Apr. 30 2017
leocg Moderator Volunteer last edited by
Where Opera's profile folder is located?
To see the path to Opera's profile folder, go to Menu > About Opera and check the 'Profile' line under 'Paths'.
How do I create a clean profile
- Go to Menu > About Opera and take note of the path to the Opera's profile folder
- Using Windows Explorer (or a similar software), locate that folder and rename it to whatever you want
- Open Opera for a new profile folder to be created
Note: It will also work if you delete the profile folder in the second step.
Google (or other search engine) is leading me to the page for a different country
- Make sure you don't have Turbo or VPN enabled
- Edit the file 'Local State' in Opera's profile folder and change the country code in following lines to the one you want:
- Clear cookies and cache
How can i do a standalone/portable installation
- Download the portable installer
- Run the installer
- Run Opera from inside the install folder
I can't select the tab when clicking on the top edge of tab bar (when Opera is maximised)
- Go to settings > Browser > User Interface and enable 'Disable tab bar's top spacing when browser window is maximised'
- Advanced settings may need to be enabled
I copied Opera's profile folder to a new OS installation but my saved passwords don't show up
- Stored passwords are encrypted using the OS login credentials and can't be used in another computer or by another in the same machine
- To migrate your saved passwords to a new computer or OS installation you need to use Sync.
When doing a backup, which files should I include?
- The best thing to do would be to backup the whole profile folder. If you want to backup just a specific data, you can check here what files and/or folders to backup.
How can I disable auto-update?
- In Opera's installation folder, find out the folder with the latest build number and rename the file
I can't run Java in Opera
Support for Java has ended a while ago in Chromium based browsers. In Opera, the latest version with support for Java is 33.
Java plug-in is being discontinued by Oracle. Sites that still use it should have adapted themselves already.
What are the system requirements to run Opera?
- Windows 7 or later
- 512 MB of RAM
- 400 MB of free disk space
I need to click to play Flash content even with the option 'click to play' not being selected in settings
VPN and Turbo will always use 'click to play'. To avoid it you need to add the site(s) as an exception.