Cannot update or install Opera

• I'm currently running Version 12.17 / Build 1863 / Platform Win32 / System Windows 8

I have been trying to update to the most recent version but I can't do it either automatically or manually. I have disabled all extensions and restarted Opera but when it tries to upgrade automatically the download goes through but during the install process I get an error message that states it can't install it. I then click on the manual install button and it downloads it but when I click on that file (Opera_44.0.2510.857_Setup) it will not start the install. I have rebooted the computer and then clicked on that file with no programs open or running and still nothing happens. Suggestions?

• Is your OS up to date?

If you download this one, does it run?

• It appears that I have a 64 bit operating system and I was told that I have to install a special version of Opera - that the newest versions for Windows will not work on my computer.

• Why not?

There is an Opera 12.18 (if you want a later Presto-based version), but Opera 44 should work fine on Windows 8 - 64-bit or 32-bit.

• Is your OS up to date?
    If you download this one, does it run?

It works great - thanks for the link!

• It works great - thanks for the link!

If the portable installer worked then it means that the regular one wasn't having access to Program Files so Opera couldn't be installed.

Were you trying to install Opera with admin rights?

Looks like your connection to Opera forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.