Do more on the web, with a fast and secure browser!

Download Opera browser with:

• built-in ad blocker
  • battery saver
  • free VPN
Download Opera

[Solved]Default search engine displays all the results in Chinese (Taiwan)

• Version:		43.0.2442.1144 - Opera is up to date
    Update stream:	Stable
    System:			Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS (x86_64; Unity)

I am having rather an odd problem with respect to my default search engine (Google Search) used by the Opera
    browser: all the results are displayed in Chinese (Taiwan).

I've tried to change the specs at
    Edit > Preferences... > Browser > Search > Manage search engines..., but I cannot even see the URL where the search engines are redirecting. The list of the search engines to choose from goes as follows:

• Google Search
    • Yahoo!
    • DuckDuckGo
    • Amazon
    • Bing
    • 维基百科

The first one takes me to https://www.google.com.tw/, while the last one redirects to https://zh.wikipedia.org/. As it is obvious, these websites are in Chinese. The problem is, however, that I cannot speak Chinese.

What's even worse, one cannot modify the URL's at *Manage search engines.. And the problem is not merely a cosmetic one, but I cannot access some websites at all in any other language than Chinese. For example, if I try to access https://www.spotify.com/, I am automatically redirected to https://www.spotify.com/tw/. The same goes with Google Search.

So the question is, how can I modify my default search engine in Opera? Why isn't it possible to modify the URL's of the pre-defined search engines?

Thanks a lot for your help! 🙂

• It used to be that you could edit the file "Local State" to fix this, though I had a user report that it didn't work for him ... still, as that's the only suggestion I have that's what I'll give you. (Yes, I do know where the default search engines are stored, but you can't edit default_partner_content.json so don't bother.)

Browse to your profile directory (About Opera will tell you where it is, but it is typically something like C:\Users\{your username}\AppData\Roaming\Opera Software\Opera Stable) and open "Local State" with your favorite text editor. Somewhere in that file you'll find a section named "location" (with the quotes), for example mine reads

"location":{"country":"us","country_from_server":"US","timestamp":"1500947363600000000","tries":1},

(that file was a lot easier to read before that removed all the formatting characters, in Notepad it displays on 3 extremely long lines)

If you want it to say you're from the US, you can just use the above data.

• Sorry, didn't notice this was posted in the Linux section. Your profile is of course in your home folder and you won't be using Notepad, but otherwise it should be the same.

• Also, to make it easier to read the file, just run python -m json.tool < file 🙂

You can edit and save it in read-friendly format, Opera will remove the formatting again once it starts but it'll read any valid json file.

• Sorry, didn't notice this was posted in the Linux section. Your profile is of course in your home folder and you won't be using Notepad, but otherwise it should be the same.

@sgunhouse Excuse me, I'm a newcomer in Linux. From my home folder, I can't find such a thing. The Computer section with all of bin, boot, cdrom, dev ... to me appears so confusing.

Can you tell, where do I exactly locate this file in question? 😮

• See About Opera for the location - I'm currently in Windows and thus can't check, but it is something like ~/.config/opera-config/ or similar. (And note, files or folders beginning with a "." are hidden in Linux. Whatever About Opera says is correct, whether you can see the folder or not - type it into the location bar or change your file browser to show hidden files.)

• @sgunhouse Hi there! You were right, I had to change my file browser to show hidden files (Files > Home > View > Show Hidden Files). I manage to localize the file in question from the following path:

/home/xxxxxs/.config/opera/Local State

I just changed the country code from TW to FI, and everything seems to be working fine now!

Thanks!