:tools: Scheduled maintenance

Heads up! Downtime for the Forums, related to the NodeBB upgrade, is planned for Thursday, December 14, starting from 10:00 UTC.
Please make sure to finish all your posts before this time. The downtime should only last for a few minutes.

Auto-Update

• How do I turn off auto-update on Opera 32.0? I would have expected something in the "settings" dialogue, but to no avail.

• Either block the auto-updater in your firewall or find it and rename it and disable the scheduled task.

• Don't won't to create a new topic, so i will ask here. When i go about opera page to check updates, check works fine, but i get this error to opera_autoupdate.log: ...ERROR:ipc_channel_win.cc(159)] pipe error: 109
    Wonder what's that all about?

• ???? What has my firewall to do with the auto-update of my Opera browser????

The only Firewall we have, is our corporate Firewall, and the Firewall certainly doesn't even know, that I have Opera installed.

• Some firewalls (on your computer) can block specific processes, or on a network firewall you could block the specific port - but as I doubt they'd let you configure a corporate firewall then you just have to do it the other way.

• Does this mean, that Opera by itself does NOT provide a way to disable auto-updates, and the only way is to block this from the outside???? Don't tell me that this is true!!!

• Don't won't to create a new topic, so i will ask here. When i go about opera page to check updates, check works fine, but i get this error to operaautoupdate.log: ...ERROR:ipcchannel_win.cc(159)] pipe error: 109
    Wonder what's that all about?

Please open another topic as this a complete different issue.

• Does this mean, that Opera by itself does NOT provide a way to disable auto-updates, and the only way is to block this from the outside???? Don't tell me that this is true!!!

Yep, there is no setting to disable autoupdate and i don't thinl there will be one in a near future.

As i said somewhere else, i think this will be the default behavior for most softwares sooner or later. Even Windows is doing it depending on your version of Windows 10.

• find file "opera_autoupdate.exe" in Oprah's folder and rename it.

• When i had opera_autoupdate.exe accidentally blocked by my firewall, Opera created bunch of small ssdfp... files in the Opera profile folder. I guess they were created every time due a failed update check attemp. So if you block the update, there can be load of those files in your Opera profile folder. I'm not sure if those are ever auto-cleared by Opera.

https://forums.opera.com/topic/3252/many-ssdfp-files-in-opera-stable-since-opera-22

• I always tought that those ssdfp files were related to statistics send to Opera.

• In the thread linked by digiface, there was reference to setting an environment variable OPERAAUTOUPDATEDISABLED. I know how to set a variable, but what would be the value used? 1?

• what would be the value used? 1?

It can be anyone but i'm not sure if it still works.

• Thanks, leocg. I did set it to 1; but I also like szubirubi's idea of renaming "opera_autoupdate.exe" (if Oprah doesn't mind ;) ). I just installed Opera 32, upgrading from v. 12.16, and I want to get used to it before any updates.

• Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Opera\32.0.1948.69 (or the latest version folder you have)

Rename opera_autoupdate.exe, opera_autoupdate.licenses and opera_autoupdate.version to something else, eg. opera_autoupdate.exe.BKP etc...

• Beautiful, skoy21! I mistakenly made the name change to C:\Program Files (x86)\Opera\updatechecker\opera_autoupdate.exe, which of course was the Opera 12 updater. Thanks much for pointing me in the right direction.

• Thanks for the instructions. I've used it to prevent Opera from updating on a laptop that's being used in a remote part of the world with (very) slow internet speeds. (Opera was chosen as the default web browser because it has Turbo mode, which speeds up web browsing a lot there.)

What way would you recommend to update Opera when the laptop is in a region with good internet speed? (operaautoupdate.exe, operaautoupdate.licenses and operaautoupdate.version have been renamed)

Can I simply reinstall Opera with the newest version and/or do I have to restore the operaautoupdate files with the original file names?

Thanks.

Looks like your connection to Opera forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.