Getting Opera 31 updates....

• Since I'm back on Opera [three computers], I have wondered if the file "auto_update.exe" just...sort of...RUNS? From time to time? What triggers it to get a new version? Recently I noted .161 in one computer and .163 in another? [Today they are both .163]

Still very happy with version 31; I have had none of the troubles I read about here. In fact, I'm thinking of going with the Deveoloper Version 32, just for kicks........... but not quite YET!

Info ???

• I'm thinking of going with the Deveoloper Version 32, just for kicks..

Opera developer is now inm version 33.

I have wondered if the file "auto_update.exe" just...sort of...RUNS? From time to time?

Yes, Opera checks for updates periodically. It also will check if you go to Menu > About Opera.

• Mmm...OK [last time I looked it was '32']

So, when you click Menu > About Opera, THAT triggers a check... at that moment?

Do you know if the 'periodic' updating runs even if OPERA is not 'open' ??

• Yes. There should be an entry in your Task Scheduler named Opera scheduled Autoupdate and a bunch of numbers. It generally is set to check daily at a specific time and during system startup. Many programs that check for their own updates use the scheduler just like Opera.

• Great. Thanks for the info. I found it easily. The scheduler says, "multiple triggers defined". Haven't a clue where those might be listed, but at least I know The Basics now.

Thanks a'gin..........

• The triggers are

system start up
    opera start
    and scheduled time

• I did see a time listed.

Thanks for the info...............

• Interesting. I did not know about Opera being listed in the task scheduler. Will the command line --disable-update still work or should the opera task scheduler be disabled as well in order to turn off auto updates?

I fear I may have been giving people incomplete answers as far as turning off auto update.

• As a sort of 'follow-up', from my own learning [as guided by people here], it appears the conditions of triggering the running of Auto-Update could easily be 'jiggered' to the point where auto-updater almost doesn't run. Personally, I never even FOUND any command line for disabling...unless I was looking at it and just don't know enough to realize it!

Frankly, I fail to understand any reason to NOT be kept current...but 'different strokes'

Looks like your connection to Opera forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.