You were correct. Opera now lives in C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Opera Software\Opera Stable. Once I copied the dictionaries in there Opera saw them immediately.
Thanks for your help!
Do more on the web, with a fast and secure browser!
Download Opera browser with:
As you can see from my directory listing I can access it with PowerShell.
I'm at home now and will check the Profile path on the PCs when I'm next on site, next Monday. I'll let you know.
But this PC is weird: even if I type the path to appdata into File Explorer, it refuses to go there. Yet both PowerShell and %appdata% get me there. Something just clicked: %appdata% actually takes me to appdata\roaming. That may imply that, on the weird PC, Opera is not in the usual location. I'll check Monday.
The IT department (1 guy, off site) obviously did something very strange here. I won't worry about that though, as long as I can get the dictionary right.
It's only File Explorer that doesn't give access. Powershell does (and so would CMD if I had admin privileges). I hadn't thought of using %appdata%, but that does indeed bring up the correct directory in File Explorer. Thanks for that suggestion.
I can now clearly see that the Opera directory structure on the PCs is the same. Under C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Programs\Opera\profile\data\dictionaries I can see exactly the same 4 files (same names, dates and sizes) on my current PC and the weird one. The following is from PowerShell:
Mode LastWrite Time Length Name
-a---- 29/01/2019 12:51 AM 11716 dictionaries.xml
-a---- 2/10/2018 7:23 AM 172293 en-GB.pak
-a---- 13/02/2017 10:47 AM 259340 en-GB.zip
-a---- 13/02/2017 10:46 AM 260423 en-US.zip
Yet, on the funny PC, Opera still says that the English (United Kingdom) spell dictionary is not available (download failed). On the other 9 PCs, including the one I'm using now, UK English is set as the default, and US English is also available.
I just noticed that Opera on the funny PC pretends that US English is available - until you try to activate it; then it also says that download failed. It does use English (United Kingdom) as its display language.
So my question remains: with the same profile directory structure on all PCs, why does the funny one refuse to give me any spell check languages. Below is a screenshot of the funny PC.
I have installed Opera on a number of Windows 10 computers to which I do not have admin privileges. As it's only installed for one user, the Opera installer works fine. There is an additional problem: the company's proxy server does not provide access to the Opera website as it's a download site, so I cannot install the UK dictionary. So I grabbed the dictionary from my home PC and copied it to C:\Users\user_name\appdata\local\Programs\Opera\profile\data\dictionaries. That worked fine on 9 PCs.
Now IT have just installed a new PC. Again I installed Opera. Then I noticed that appdata and folders below are no longer visible in File Explorer. CMD is not available on any of these PCs. But, PowerShell is still accessible, so I copied the dictionary that way. And that's when I discovered that, on this one PC, Opera refuses to see its dictionaries (even US English is not available, although en-US.zip is installed). As all PCs use the same user login, I copied the entire Profile directory between the PCs, with the same result: no languages available.
So here's my question: what did I overlook, or what else do I need to copy, so that Opera will see the UK directory?
@zalex108 It looks as if a reset fixed it. I did back up my profile, just in case, but it turned out a simple reset, plus setting up Settings again (I recorded them with Snapshots beforehand) did the job. The problem has not surfaced again since then.
I found the culprit: an extension called Download from Youtube 1.0. I installed that fairly recently because my favourite downloader (Video Downloader Pro) did not work with some Youtube videos - a friend had asked me for help on those. When I installed the extension on his PC, the same problem started.
As it turned out, Download from Youtube did not download those videos either. I have now removed it from both PCs and the problem has gone away.
@leocg I've been thinking of resetting Opera to defaults, but I have quite a lot of tabs and special settings. I always start Opera with the same set of tabs, plus a couple of temporary ones - like the one that loads this page.
I've also noticed it's not consistent. Sometimes I get no instance of the window, at other times I get two.
I'll think about it for a day or so before I decide.
@leocg Opera is set to "Continue where I left off". The "specific pages" button is not ticked, and no pages show when I click on "Set pages".
I am running Malwarebytes (free version) and Zonealarm Extreme Security. Scans with both of them have not shown anything suspicious.