[Duplicated]Make it possible to create app-like shortcuts to pages
DarthGTB last edited by leocg
I don't mean like a page shortcut that would open as a tab. I mean like this functionality on Chrome:
The form is unable to upload the image, so I'll describe it in text. Hopefully I'll be able to edit with the picture
- Three dot menu
- More tools
- Create shortcut
- Check "Open as a window"
With that, we can pin pages as if they were desktop apps to the taskbar
I believe this is what this post was asking for, but the mod didn't understand: https://forums.opera.com/topic/42596/create-shortcut-on-the-desktop
Why this is a useful functionality:
- Not having to install actual desktop apps for stuff like WhatsApp, Spotify and Outlook, while these desk apps are probably just the web version in a container
- These will have your adblocker and other extensions being applied to (which is probably the reason why they offer a pseudo-desktop variant of them)
I'm currently using Chrome for that feature, but you could improve on the idea and let sidebar custom pages use that. Remove the 5 pages limit from it and make sidebar pages open as an app. Honestly, your current implementation of chats on the sidebar is useless because it doesn't give it enough space and they close when you need to browse. I'd very much rather have these pages being set through Chrome instead and use split screen to have browser and chat in separate windows
DarthGTB last edited by
guys, if you are going to mark something as duplicate, at the bare minimum link the main post here so we can support it
DarthGTB last edited by This post is deleted!
DarthGTB last edited by
@leocg BTW, actually I've just discovered that Edge has a sidebar as well and also have this feature.
Their sidebar doesn't have a limit for custom pages and we can open pages as apps with it
I really didn't think I would ever say this, but Edge is starting to look interesting. Like, really...
- It's another Chromium like Opera, so rendering is the same as Opera
- Accepts same extensions as Chrome and Opera
- It also has video popup
- I can just install a Speed Dial extension
- I can just install an ad blocker extension
- Tab management isn't terrible (although this one should probably be fixed with the Opera rebranding that's coming up. I really want to try the new Opera out)