Problems with Magnet Links

• I'm currently having a problem opening magnet links in my Opera browser. I'm using Opera 18 on Windows 8 64bit, and my magnet links work in every other browser just not Opera. Is there anything I can do to remedy this?

• Hi cbentley

Its really simple just go to
    C:\Users\"username"\AppData\Roaming\Opera Software\Opera Stable\
    and open your "Local State" file with e.g. notepad and add: "magnet": false, to the "excluded_schemes" section
    Be sure to flag: false ๐Ÿ˜‰

Like this:
    "protocol_handler": {
    "excluded_schemes": {
    "afp": true,
    "magnet": false,
    "data": true,
    "disk": true,
    "disks": true,

tested and wrking on opera 18 and 19
    Hope it works for ya

• Thanks Freddie...

Suprisingly Iยดve managed it myself by your manual. And it works!!! ๐Ÿ˜„
    Windows 8.1 (64bit), Opera 19.0.

Finally I can rid of Mozilla...

• Hi there,

I have the same problem like akagi211 and i have modified the local state file as you described but now when i click on the magnet link nothing happens. There is no response at all.

What should i do?

• I'm using Opera 64bit v.28.0.1750.51

• I'm using Opera 64bit v.28.0.1750.51

There's no Opera 64 bits.

I don't think there is a way to fix it atm. Associating magnet links with a program may help.

• When I try to associate the magnet links with a program I get a blank window with no options.

• When I try to associate the magnet links with a program I get a blank window with no options.

So you don't have any program that can handle those links?

If you have, can you do the association from inside the program?

• I did the association from BitTorrent and it works now. Thank you!

• Ok I have the same issue but am unable to find the "Local State" file. In C:\Users"username"\AppData\Roaming\Opera Software\Opera Stable\ I have only 2 folders:Cache and Media Cache.
    I have hidden files enabled and have Opera 29.0.1795.60 installed.
    Any advice would be welcome.

• Then your install has issues. You should have close to 2 dozen folders and twice that many files in that directory.

• So basically I should do a reinstall of opera?

Looks like your connection to Opera forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.