:tools: Scheduled maintenance

Heads up! Downtime for the Forums, related to the NodeBB upgrade, is planned for Thursday, December 14, starting from 10:00 UTC.
Please make sure to finish all your posts before this time. The downtime should only last for a few minutes.

Opera 24 and Tab Previews

• Here's a link to the blog covering Opera 24.

http://blogs.opera.com/desktop/

I think the Opera tab previews are nice. Really large. I didn't know that was coming, though don't use Opera Next, or Opera Developer, so perhaps hadn't been up to date on what was in the pipeline. Was this feature a surprise?

• Not for me, I'm following the progress of Opera 24 since it was first released in Developer Stream. The only problem with this release is that Opera is not supporting WebGL 3D graphics, which makes animations (such as Tab Preview's ones) smoother (see this image).

• The only problem with this release is that Opera is not supporting WebGL 3D graphics, which makes animations (such as Tab Preview's ones) smoother

Hmm, how?

• Hmm, how?

I think, because when that happens, Speed Dial folder's Open/Close animations (and many others) are less smooth than normal. Also, when I disable the ''use hardware acceleration when available'' option in Settings, the WebGL support (normally) disappears. Now, I have that option checked, but Opera doesn't have the WebGL support. I don't know if WebGL has something to do with that, but it's obviously related.

• The tab previews are smooth enough for me. I don't follow the issue of the Speed Dial folder's Open/Close animations.

• Anyway, thanks for the replies. :)

• I think, because when that happens, Speed Dial folder's Open/Close animations (and many others) are less smooth than normal.

I don't think that webgl support has any relation with it but i may be wrong.

Also, when I disable the ''use hardware acceleration when available'' option in Settings, the WebGL support (normally) disappears.

Makes sense, i guess, as it seems very dependable on hwa.

Now, I have that option checked, but Opera doesn't have the WebGL support.

Here html5test shows "Webgl 3D Graphics" as prefixed.

• Actually I like tab preview but is to possible to set a refresh interval?

• Hi @pe73, yes you can do this as follows:

1. Go to the Settings (Alt+P), click on the free space on the page, somewhere outside the search field, enter the Konami code: up up down down left right left right b a,

2. After that, the warning window should appear (Power user settings), click on the "I understand, proceed" button, then scroll to the bottom of the page, and tick the checkbox on the left of the "Always show power user settings" option,

3. Scroll a bit up, to the "User interface" section, and you should see the "Delay of initial tab preview in milliseconds" options (as shown below), and change the default value (600), by clicking on the arrow symbols: up-arrow, down-arrow on the right of the value, or click on the value field, and type a custom value, eg. 200:

Opera 24 - Delay of initial tab preview

• Hi @pe73, yes you can do this as follows:

1. Go to the Settings (Alt+P), click on the free space on the page, somewhere outside the search field, enter the Konami code: up up down down left right left right b a,
    2. After that, the warning window should appear (Power user settings), click on the "I understand, proceed" button, then scroll to the bottom of the page, and tick the checkbox on the left of the "Always show power user settings" option,
    3. Scroll a bit up, to the "User interface" section, and you should see the "Delay of initial tab preview in milliseconds" options (as shown below), change the default value (600) to a lower number, eg. 200:

Thanks but the setting isn't refreshing a tab. This setting specifies how fast a tab preview should be displayed. I meant real refresh of site, i.e. having opened tab (for instance a forum) and hovering over a tab will refresh site.

• I meant real refresh of site, i.e. having opened tab (for instance a forum) and hovering over a tab will refresh site.

There is no setting for this. Maybe some extension can help.

• I meant real refresh of site, i.e. having opened tab (for instance a forum) and hovering over a tab will refresh site.

There is no setting for this. Maybe some extension can help.

OK thanks. It would be neat to have this option available.

• Thanks but the setting isn't refreshing a tab. This setting specifies how fast a tab preview should be displayed. I meant real refresh of site, i.e. having opened tab (for instance a forum) and hovering over a tab will refresh site.

@pe73: Oh sorry, in that case, it seems that I not guessed well, what you meant :doh: :whistle:

• Thanks but the setting isn't refreshing a tab. This setting specifies how fast a tab preview should be displayed. I meant real refresh of site, i.e. having opened tab (for instance a forum) and hovering over a tab will refresh site.

Oh sorry, in that case, it seems that I not guessed well, what you meant ;-)

np :)

• @pe73: For that purpose, you can try one of the extensions that allow you to automatically refresh web pages: the Page Reloader, the Auto Refresh Plus, or Easy Auto Refresh - to be able to install one of the last two, you need first install one of the following extensions, which allow you install extensions from the Chrome Web Store: the Extension source viewer, or the Download Chrome Extension.

• Here html5test shows "Webgl 3D Graphics" as prefixed.

@leocg, It normally shows ''Prefixed'' for me too, but since the update to Opera 24, it's not working anymore... See the screenshot here.

• Not everybody likes tab previews. I consider them anoying.
    I'm glad they added the option to disable it.

• Here html5test shows "Webgl 3D Graphics" as prefixed.

@leocg, It normally shows ''Prefixed'' for me too, but since the update to Opera 24, it's not working anymore... See the screenshot here.

I get that result if i disable hwa. Check opera:gpu, maybe it can give you some hint.

• While I like the tab preview, it might be better if you could control the size of the preview . At least have some options -- small, medium, large.

• Check opera:gpu, maybe it can give you some hint.

I got these results:

Graphics Feature Status

Canvas: Software only, hardware acceleration unavailable

Flash: Hardware accelerated

Flash Stage3D: Hardware accelerated

Flash Stage3D Baseline profile: Software only, hardware acceleration unavailable

Compositing: Hardware accelerated and threaded

Rasterization: Software only, hardware acceleration unavailable

Threaded Rasterization: Disabled

Video Decode: Software only, hardware acceleration unavailable

Video Encode: Hardware accelerated

WebGL: Hardware accelerated

--- I get the same results in Opera developer 25 (in which WebGL is supported).

Looks like your connection to Opera forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.