Do more on the web, with a fast and secure browser!

Download Opera browser with:

• built-in ad blocker
  • battery saver
  • free VPN
Download Opera

Completely disable address bar autocomplete?

• One of Opera's more annoying features for me is the address bar autocomplete, which is frequently suggesting old things I don't want to search for again. I have to remember to press backspace before Enter. I understand that you can remove individual items from the autocomplete list but this isn't what I want - I would like Opera to never try to fill the remainder of what I type into the address bar. Is there a way to disable it completely?

I already tried Settings > "Use a prediction service to help complete searches and URLs typed in the address bar", but this does not disable suggestions from old searches.

• bro, same here!
    when I type "google.com" ENTER, opera sends me to "translate.google.com" instead. I must use the mouse to select the right result from the autocomplete list. This drives me totally crazy

• @rutto
    There should be a "X" at the end of the autocompletion. You can remove previous results with this:

73236ec5-0741-44fe-b0de-35b11e6b51a3-image.png

• Like I said, "I understand that you can remove individual items from the autocomplete list but this isn't what I want". The issue seems to be that the Opera devs have not distinguished between "autocomplete" and "search suggestions". I have no problem with the search suggestions and I don't want to remove them. What I do want to do is stop Opera from trying to automatically complete what I'm typing. I want to be able to "opt in" to search suggestions by selecting one manually from the list rather than having them forced on me and having to "opt out" of them. I like Opera a lot but the lack of customizability here is just poor design IMO. Firefox offers this option with the browser.urlbar.autoFill setting.

• @rutto If you have translate.google.com as a speed dial in the start page, goto the URL opera://flags/#suggestion-scoring-improved, disable the flag and restart Opera.

• @jmanford8 said in Completely disable address bar autocomplete?:

I already tried Settings > "Use a prediction service to help complete searches and URLs typed in the address bar", but this does not disable suggestions from old searches.

You might have to goto the URL opera://settings/clearBrowserData and clear history for all time to get rid of those.

• @burnout426

That did the trick, can't believe how much frustration I've been through before even trying to look for a solution ^___^
    Bless