Opera won't play videos.
jin8864y last edited by jin8864y
It was fine yesterday and it suddenly won't play any videos from this morning. Does anybody have the same issue?
leocg Moderator last edited by
@jin8864y Nope, videos are playing fine here.
dhartescu last edited by leocg
Hi, apologies for opening this up again (not sure if I should have started a new topic) but I've been grappling with this for days and I don't know where else to turn.
For a few weeks now the Opera install on my machine has been unable to play videos on any of the following sites:
- Prime Video:
All of these work in Chrome and Edge (Chromium) on the same machine, and the issue doesn't even seem to be build-related - I've tried several older versions of Opera Stable, Beta and GX, all with the same problem.
Even worse, the exact same version of opera (as far as I can tell) on a different laptop is working perfectly fine, which leads me to believe it's an issue related to something outside of the browser but I can't figure out what.
Youtube is about the only video source still working.
- OS: Windows 10 Home N v.1909 Build 18363.657
- Opera Version:66.0.3515.95 - up to date
- Components page:
Things I have tried:
- Removed any Antivirus program (besides windows defender)
- Disabled the Windows Firewall
- Disabled all extensions and reverting all settings
- Completely wiping Opera + profile folder + PC reboot and reinstall
Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm close to abandoning Opera on this machine, which would be a shame because I have grown used to it and is one of the best browsers out there.
dhartescu last edited by
Oh wow, many thanks, that fixed my problem right away.
See, I never thought to look up the media pack because
- Both Chrome and Edge seemed to be working fine, so nothing suggested it was a Windows issue
- I 100% remember installing the media pack ages ago for a different software issue and I've never touched it or had an issue with it since
I bet it was some sneaky (or badly coded) Windows Update that removed that whole pack without warning or notice. That's really the only thing that had changed recently.
In any case, thanks again! Hope this helps someone else stuck with this problem.