Do more on the web, with a fast and secure browser!

Download Opera browser with:

• built-in ad blocker
  • battery saver
  • free VPN
Download Opera

Does anyone know how to remove this annoying "red O" Opera icon from my system tray? It's driving me nuts.

• I'll start by saying that I know this question has been asked a lot but none of the threads I've seen have any answers.

Every few days/weeks an opera icon appears on my system tray - and when I close it, it appears again after a few days/weeks. I do not want this icon on my system tray and would like to remove it permanently - it's only purpose seems to be to launch and close Opera which seems pretty pointless.

My guess is that it appears after every Opera update, but that's just a guess.
    I've tried:

• Removing it from the list of start-up programs
    • Looking for it in the Services and Task Scheduler
    • Searching through Opera's settings
    • Searched through this forum, Reddit and a bunch of other sites

There seem to be a lot of people who have this issue but none of them had a valid answer.

Does anyone know how to remove this annoying "red O" Opera icon from my system tray? It's driving me nuts.

• In Opera, goto the URL opera://about and take note of the install path. Then, close Opera.

Uninstall Opera through Apps/Programs and Features in Windows. When uninstalling, choose to keep your data if you want.

Delete Opera's install folder if it's still there.

Delete all files and folders in "C:\windows\temp" and "C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Local\temp". They contain old install/update files that might interfere with Opera's updater.

Remove any Opera tasks in the Windows Task Scheduler. The uninstall process should remove them, but sometimes not. There are separate ones for stable, beta and developer versions of Opera. If you're just trying to straighten up Opera Stable, you can leave the Beta and Developer tasks alone if you want.

Download the offline package Opera installer from https://www.opera.com/download. Launch it, click "options", set "install path" to "C:\Program Files\Opera", set "install for" to "all users", uncheck "import data from default browser", adjust the other checkboxes as you see fit and install.

That should do the trick. If it still doesn't and you chose to keep your data when uninstalling Opera, in Opera, goto the URL opera://downloads and delete all downloads that are broken/unfinished. I guess you could try that first before the other stuff if you want.