Where is 64 bit Opera to download?

  • The main Opera page has been over-simplified. I tried to download the 64 bit Opera for my new (Windows 😎 computer, but it only gives me the 32 bit version. There are no options. Help! Where has it gone?

  • Thanks, got it. But how would people new to Opera get this from the main page? They only see one version, the inferior 32bit version. Or is 64bit still classed as in testing phase?

  • Originally posted by hucker:

    But how would people new to Opera get this from the main page?

    They won't.

    Originally posted by hucker:

    They only see one version, the inferior 32bit version. Or is 64bit still classed as in testing phase?

    For whatever reason, hidden as it is, it seems that Opera has absolute no interest for people downloading the 64-bit.
    Somehow understandable taking into consideration that both, Opera (Presto) 32-bit and 64-bit will soonly become abandonware :rip:

  • If they're both being abandoned, then why hide one of them? Especially as it's the same version number, so has obviously been worked on alongside the 32bit version!

  • I think it's a kind of legacy thing. 64-bit Opera development has always lagged somewhat behind developing 32-bit Opera, and in fact, not so long ago didn't even exist. So I think its download was initially made available mainly as an after-thought, for those who wanted to try it out. As time has gone by and greater events have intruded, I suspect the entire subject of Opera Presto-based browsers and their download interfacing have been pushed to a a back burner until the great WebKit push has passed. Probably, a lot of things "Opera" will be re-worked and updated after that... perhaps including the download site. Certainly, there will be major impact to all the Opera reference sites, particularly since there will then be two kinds of Opera (and their particular idiosyncrasies) to document and refer.

  • Using 64bit is certainly not 'superior' to using 32bit browsers. There's nothing inherently superior about 64bit. You are using twice the amount of RAM in a 64bit program as compared to a 32bit program, so unless you have 10+GB of RAM, it's worthless (32bit can use up to 4GB of RAM, and if you are using 64bit with 8GB of RAM, you are actually not getting any extra RAM because of the fact that the memory registers are double the size, and thus practically, your 8GB under 64bit is the same as 4GB under 32bit).

  • Surely not, the extra memory must be used for something, not just blank space.

    And if 64bit wasn't superior we wouldn't be using it. It's more stable or something?

    What I'd really like though is for Opera to use more than one processor core. Come on, multicore was invented almost a decade ago?

    PS, I've got 32GB memory, I always fill the motherboard. It makes everything faster. Win7/8 64bit on only 8GB, you must be mad.

  • If you visit the website using a 64-bit browser it'll automatically give you the 64-bit Opera.

  • Originally posted by rafaelluik:

    If you visit the website using a 64-bit browser it'll automatically give you the 64-bit Opera.

    I can't confirm. Does it for you?

  • It doesn't. I used Internet Explorer 64bit to download it as that was all I had on my new computer. I was given the 32bit version.

    Can the website not detect the bits of your OS?

  • Opera 12 is now available in 64 bit for all platforms. Note that because 64 bit applications use more memory than their 32 bit equivalent, the default version of Opera for Windows will continue to be 32 bit.

    http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/2012/06/14/twelve-under-the-hood-improvements-in-opera-12

    So it seems that you will always get the 32-bit version by default.

  • Originally posted by TripleDude:

    Using 64bit is certainly not 'superior' to using 32bit browsers. There's nothing inherently superior about 64bit. You are using twice the amount of RAM in a 64bit program as compared to a 32bit program, so unless you have 10+GB of RAM, it's worthless (32bit can use up to 4GB of RAM, and if you are using 64bit with 8GB of RAM, you are actually not getting any extra RAM because of the fact that the memory registers are double the size, and thus practically, your 8GB under 64bit is the same as 4GB under 32bit).

    I thought what you were saying was complete nonsense, so I looked it up, I was correct: http://www.viva64.com/en/b/0069/

    Only POINTERS are larger.

  • Originally posted by hucker:

    It doesn't. I used Internet Explorer 64bit to download it as that was all I had on my new computer. I was given the 32bit version.

    Well I've made a test now and discovered opera.com isn't offering the 64-bit version automatically like it did before... 😕

    The details: I used IE from desktop of 64-bit Windows 8 and realized the iexplore.exe process in which opera.com was rendered was listed as 32-bit on task manager, so something was affecting it... Then I used the Metro (modern UI) version of IE which doesn't run plug-ins, etc, and it displayed correctly as 64-bit in the task manager. But sadly both gave me the 32-bit installer, and when accessing the site via the Opera 64-bit version it gave me the 32-bit installer too. 😕

    Originally posted by hucker:

    Can the website detect the bits of your OS?

    Yes, the websites can given the browser UA-String contains that info, I think. Both Opera and IE 64-bit contain a part which says "Win64; x64" in the UA-String (you can test t here: http://gs.statcounter.com/detect).

  • Originally posted by rafaelluik:

    Then I used the Metro

    My Metro is disabled - this is a computer, not a phone 🙂

  • Originally posted by hucker:

    Originally posted by rafaelluik:

    Then I used the Metro

    My Metro is disabled - this is a computer, not a phone 🙂

    Not going to enter in a discussion here, but Metro on PCs have a great potential of simplifying, making the interface easier for everyone to use (yet keeping advanced options available for "techies", if needed).

  • It's only useful if you use one program at a time. You must have a taskbar if you open more than one program, or it's ridiculous.

  • Originally posted by hucker:

    It's only useful if you use one program at a time. You must have a taskbar if you open more than one program, or it's ridiculous.

    On Windows 8 you have an app-switching bar at the left, I don't get your point...

  • It's hidden. I have to use one of those bloomin corner things. I want to see my running programs (with text names) listed on the screen at all times. Like say... a taskbar! The one that's served us well since windows 95.

Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to Opera forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.