Do more on the web, with a fast and secure browser!

Download Opera browser with:

• built-in ad blocker
  • battery saver
  • free VPN
Download Opera

Scheduled logout

In order to introduce new security features and enhance your experience with Opera Forums we had to terminate all sessions that were started before Monday, March 25, 15:00 UTC.
If you find yourself logged out please rest assured that this is completely normal and expected. To participate in the discussions after that date you have to sign-in again using the "Login" button.
Apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Automatic installation of Opera extension

• Hello!
    I'm developing an native messaging application for Opera. I have already done it for Chrome and Firefox, so I hope Opera will be next. I have some questions:

1. I have a Windows installer, which installs an extension from store into Chrome. An user only needs to agree this installation with no need to visit a Chrome store. Does Opera has a mechanism to install an extension automatically form installer (regystry keys, packaged extension or something else)?

2. There is an instruction (https://dev.opera.com/extensions/message-passing/) of installing native hosts.

Location of the manifest file depends on the platform:

• Windows: The manifest file can be located anywhere in the file system. The application installer must create registry key
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Google\Chrome\NativeMessagingHosts\com.my_company.my_application
      and set default value of that key to the full path to the manifest file.

• OSX: The manifest file must be placed at
      ~/Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome/NativeMessagingHosts/

• Linux: The manifest file must be placed at
      /etc/opt/chrome/native-messaging-hosts

Registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE is supposed to be used for installation for all users of a machine. How can I install native messaging host for only local user? For example, Chrome allows such an installatian (https://developer.chrome.com/apps/nativeMessaging#native-messaging-host-location).

• Not sure but I think Opera no longer allows installing extensions from outside of the Add-ons store.