Do more on the web, with a fast and secure browser!

Download Opera browser with:

• built-in ad blocker
  • battery saver
  • free VPN
Download Opera

latest security update locks up pc, and old version will not uninstall

• running windows 7 ultimate 64bit i was running opera stable 48.0.2685.52 10/26/17 and got a notice that there was a security update, so per the prompts i downloaded 56.0.3051.99 11/6/18 and attempted to install the upgrade. the process never put any window or notice on the screen and it locked the computer up entirely. after a hard reset i tried the install from the downloaded file again - locked up entirely. after another hard reset, i tried to uninstall the old opera version off of my pc, and clicking uninstall in the programs and features does nothing. no activity is created in task manager. so first i would like to get a walkthrough for a complete uninstall of the old version of opera since the uninstall doesnt work.

• It may think the new version was installed.

Do you know where Opera's program folder is? If you installed to the default location, it should be C:\Program Files\Opera\ and should contain (among other things) some folders named with various version numbers. If you see a folder named 56.0.3051.99 just deleting it should force Opera back to the prior version. (Note that location is for 64-bit Opera and an English-speaking locale; if you have the 32-bit version of Opera try in C:\Program Files (x86)\Opera\ instead.)