Do more on the web, with a fast and secure browser!

Download Opera browser with:

  • built-in ad blocker
  • battery saver
  • free VPN
Download Opera

Restore extension data from a backup.

  • A few weeks ago I lost some extension data, I have used the extension for maybe a couple of years and this never happened before.

    I have full disk backups but I haven't been able to find where the information is stored.

    The extension is TabHamster. The lost data is a couple dozen tabs/urls, mostly from some gifts I want to order for family. I haven't been able to find most of them as they were all over the internet on different shops.
    I don't use and haven't used opera sync for like 5 years maybe more (last time I tried it was on opera 12 or 11).

    I looked into %appdata%\Opera Software\Opera Stable\Sync Extension Settings<extension path>\ and there were log files there, the log files contain tabs/urls from the extension, but sadly not the ones I need.

    The extension has a script called js/storage.js, I guess the contents is relevant:
    var storage = {
    area: chrome.storage.sync,
    default_options: {
    date_format: 'eu', // or 'us'
    pinned: 0, //do not add pinned tabs
    cur_win: 1, // save tabs from current window only
    active_tab: '#saved', //or '#sessions'
    session_watcher: 1 //extension will watch sessions
    }
    };

    Which files should I try to restore to get my extension data back from the backup?

    Thanks

  • You may need to copy the extensions folders.

  • @leocg I have tried this before, but I tried again just to be sure:
    I closed Opera and deleted my extension folders:
    %appdata%\Opera Software\Opera Stable\Extension Rules
    %appdata%\Opera Software\Opera Stable\Extension State
    %appdata%\Opera Software\Opera Stable\Extensions
    Then restore those folders from the backup, opened Opera, tabhamster extension is still showing me the urls I had saved earlier today, not the ones from the 2 weeks ago backup

  • So it turns out that %appdata%\Opera Software\Opera Stable\Sync Extension Settings<extension path>\000003.log was the right file, I was able to recover like half of my links, I just got bad timing on my backups, and that's why I wasn't able to recover everything.

    Thanks.