Do more on the web, with a fast and secure browser!

Download Opera browser with:

• built-in ad blocker
  • battery saver
  • free VPN
Download Opera

Restore bookmarks after hard drive failure

• I have had a hard drive failure and had to re-install my system from scratch.

I have managed to recover the Bookmarks and BookmarksExtras files from the Roaming folder in AppData on the old hard drive, but when I copy them to the new drive and start Opera, the bookmarks are not there.

If I then go to look at the bookmarks files, Opera has renamed my original version to .bak and created a new BookmarksExtras file.

How can I get my bookmarks back?

• @scitechuk So you don't see anything on the bookmarks manager?

• @leocg No, completely empty.

• @scitechuk There were something on the files that you recovered? Were they intact?

• @leocg Bookmarks is 607K has what looks like the folder structure, BookmarksExtra is 2276K but just has null characters when opened in a text reader.

• @scitechuk BookmarksExtra is just the thumbnails. You should be able to just paste the Bookmarks file into the new profile folder and see your bookmarks.

Maybe it's corrupted?

• @leocg It starts with { followed by "checksum": "066deb9a7f84b78857481fa39c84695b", and ends with a line of null characters.

• My 454Kb bookmarks file, as viewed in Notepad, starts out:

"checksum": "f4e2cbb982bd0d067170f170c13ad682",
    "roots": {
    "bookmark_bar": {
    "children": [ {
    "date_added": "13161894605461224",
    "id": "2",
    "name": "-d",
    "type": "url",
    "url": ""
    }, {

This is followed by a ton of similar code structure embodying all the other bookmarks bar members plus regular bookmark data. My bookmarks.bak file looks identical. The bookmarks file ends with:

"version": 1

It sounds like something unfortunate may have happened to your file. Do you have any other backups for it?

• @blackbird71 It looks like the file I have managed to recover is corrupted. I only found it by using the deep scan function of a file recovery program; the hard drive is basically trashed.

I have a live off site backup running, but I don't back up all of the AppData data folder, only a few important apps. Unfortunately I set the backup up a few years ago when Opera stored it's settings in AppData\Roaming\Opera, so that's what I have backed up. I didn't realise that Opera changed at some point to AppData\Roaming\Opera Software and that folder wasn't backed up.

Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

Looks like your connection to Opera forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.