Do more on the web, with a fast and secure browser!

Download Opera browser with:

• built-in ad blocker
  • battery saver
  • free VPN
Download Opera

Can't make Opera 20 defalut browser in Win 8.1 x64

• Good day!

Opera 20.0 is not listed in Windows 8.1 x64 browsers, though I installed it on clear system.
    There is no possibility to make it a default browser. When I click "Make Opera a default browser" in Opera options menu, a window with "Find a program in Windows 8 Apps shop" and "Internet explorer" to chose from appears. No Opera browser there.

Are there any variants to solve this problem?

Thank you.

• It's known and being worked on (DNA-19636) 😉

• What kind of installation is that? Regular for "all users", "current user" or "standalone (USB)"?
    Only the option for "all users" will register Opera in Windows as a program eligible to become default browser.

• In my experience (with Windows 😎 it is also required that you choose the "Show in Start menu" option. There's a slight chance Microsoft changed that in 8.1, but that's what I had to do during install on my Windows 8 laptop.

• It was installed as "for current user" with "show in start menu" option.
    I don't think it's OK for developers that installation "for all users" is the only option to make Opera default browser. Tell me if I'm wrong.

Let me wait for this DNA-19636 is resolved before I reinstall Opera for all users (will it be resolved? 🙂 )

Thank you everyone!

• If you Opera installer, you will be able to make it default. I did that 🙂

• Has DNA-19636 been sorted yet? I still can't make Opera my default browser in Windows 8.1.

• I have 4 web browsers installed in Windows 8.1 and I had no problem making Opera the default. The setting is listed under the third heading in the options page for me.