Do more on the web, with a fast and secure browser!

Download Opera browser with:

• built-in ad blocker
  • battery saver
  • free VPN
Download Opera

How to Make a clicked link Open in A New Active Tab?

• When I click on a link in a page I am viewing, the link opens a new tab but the tab isn't active. I then have to click on the new created tab to view it. Is there an option to have the new tab be the active upfront tab after clicking on a link?

I searched but couldn't find anything. Thanks for any thoughts.

• You may get it by using some extension.

• install "right click opens link in new tab", options middleclick - foreground, rightclick - do nothing. might want "tab active" as well. i don't honest remember you need "download chrome extension" to be able to use them.

• Actually there are 3 native ways,

a) you use a mouse gesture on the link (drag the link slightly down with the right mouse button and release)
    b) Hold down Ctrl+Shift then left click the link
    c) Drag the link with the mouse to the tab bar (does not always work)

• @gator5000e said in How to Make a clicked link Open in A New Active Tab?:

When I click on a link in a page

middle-click? (Just wanted to make sure)

• This post is deleted!
  • Thanks for the suggestions. I've looked at some of the extensions and really don't see anything that is on point. And this is harder than it should be, I am not sure why Opera can't have an option in the settings to make the new tab active immediately when clicking on a link. Oh well. Firefox and Edge open a new active tab when clicking on a link. Seems to be pretty basic. I really like Opera but it seems like this is a shortcomng on its part.

• @gator5000e It seems more of a Chromium behavior as Chrome does the same.