Autoupdate not disabled

  • After the automatic update to Opera 45 (on Windows 7 Pro), the VPN was so problematic that it was essentially useless.

    So, last week, I set the environment variable to OPERA_AUTOUPDATE_DISABLED and re-installed Opera 44. VPN worked perfectly again.

    This morning, Opera has updated itself to version 45 again, apparently ignoring the environment variables.

    Have I done something wrong with how I turned off the auto-update, or is Opera forcing through updates whether they are wanted or not? If I can't get this fixed, the next step is to find the Opera update servers and not allow them through the firewall.

    Cheers

    John

  • Maybe that setting no longer works.

    Try renaming the auto updater executable.

  • I've done that now. Also disabled the Opera Auto-Update task in Task Scheduler.

    I guess only time will tell if that's enough to stop it updating.

  • I've done that now. Also disabled the Opera Auto-Update task in Task Scheduler.
    I guess only time will tell if that's enough to stop it updating.

    You should be good with renaming the exe. I did that for a while. Even trying to manually update after that generated an error until I restored the original filename.

  • After every update Autoupdate has to be disabled/renamed.

Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to Opera forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.