[Solved]Opera is taking a very long time to open

  • Hello

    Since the update to version 44, Opera is taking a very long time to open. When I say long, I am saying of at least one minute, to up to three minutes. After it is opened, it is even faster than version 43 was, but it is pretty annoying to wait more than one minute waiting Opera open.

    As a comparison, Firefox takes less than 10 seconds to open the first time. Opera 43 opened as fast as Firefox.

    When opening Opera using the terminal, there are some error messages which may explain why is this error happening.

    $ opera
    [0329/010311.926623:ERROR:child_thread_impl.cc(774)] Request for unknown Channel-associated interface:ui::mojom::GpuMain
    Gkr-Message: secret service operation failed: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
    Gkr-Message: secret service operation failed: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
    

    Only after the second Gkr-Message appears is that Opera opens, and each Gkr-Message takes a long time to appear.

    OS: Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS (x86_64; XFCE)

    Version of Opera: 44.0.2510.857 (Stable)

  • Hi @furret29, can you try renaming your profile, to see if a fresh one would solve the issue? You might also want to disable all the extensions and see if you get the same problem.

  • Hello, I have tested removing the opera folders from both ~/.config and ~/.cache. With a clean opening, the opening was faster, but still not fast as before. The messages, when opening Opera thought terminal, were:

    $ opera
    [0330/111021.930812:ERROR:child_thread_impl.cc(774)] Request for unknown Channel-associated interface: ui::mojom::GpuMain
    Gkr-Message: secret service operation failed: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
    

    The moment I added my account to sync, the messages appeared as before and the time to open became longer again.

    Edit: Found the problem! It was gnome-keyring-daemon. It was being started with some options, which made Opera don't work. The options --start --components=secrets made gnome-keyring-daemon not work with Opera, making the secret service operation fail. Making gnome-keyring-daemon auto initialize without options allowed Opera to open fast again.

    This is strange, because Opera opened fine with version 43, at least now the version 44 is fast again.

    Thank you.

  • Hey @furret29, I'm glad you found the issue. I had read something about a problem with Chrome and Gnome keyring, but thought you weren't affected (I was mislead by your using XFCE).

    Thanks for sharing your findings.

Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to Opera forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.