Do more on the web, with a fast and secure browser!

Download Opera browser with:

• built-in ad blocker
  • battery saver
  • free VPN
Download Opera

Installation of Opera 40 (VPN) breaks Thunderbird 45.3.0

• After a long period of abstinence from Opera I gave it a try again. So, I installed Opera 40 in order to check the new VPN feature on Wednesday evening. The September 2016 patches for Microsoft Windows 7 (x64) had been installed on my machine the day before. Opera installed without any issues on my Windows 7 (x64) machine and everything looked fine at first glance.

However, then I started Thunderbird (45.3.0) in order to check my e-mails. Surprisingly, Thunderbird asked me to create a new e-mail account after it complained that it was not the default program for e-mail. Of course, I changed the default program to Tunderbird again and skiped the creation of a new e-mail account. However, Thunderbird did not show any e-mail account on the left pane.

Therefore, I immediately checked my Thunderbird profile folder, but everything was fine. Even though the profile manager (thunderbird.exe -p) listed my Thunderbird profile in its profile list, Thunderbird itself was no longer able to find the profile. Also a reinstallation of Thunderbird did no solve this issue.

The only way to get Thunderbird working again was a system restore from a previous restore point.

I am really disapointed about Opera. Is the setup program of Opera writing to folders that it is not supposed to write to?

Has anyone else experienced this issue as well?

• This was most certainly not caused by Opera. Opera hasn't had a built in email client in years and it doesn't write to any of the Thunderbird folders during a standard installation. It's probably just a coincidence. I've been on the forums awhile now and I've never seen anyone else report this issue.

• Not sure to which version of Opera you are referring to, but the tutorial clearly says that Opera Mail is built into the Opera browser. See https://www.opera.com/help/tutorials/mail/setup/ for more details. Otherwise there would not be any reason for the Opera setup program to set the default program for e-mail to Opera, which it does by default.

• That is for Opera Mail. Opera Mail is a sperate application from the Opera Browser and it is not included with current versions of Opera. The last version to have the mail client built into it was Opera 12.

• the tutorial clearly says that Opera Mail is built into the Opera

This is a tutorial for an old version of Opera that still was using Presto.

Since 2013 Opera is based on Chromium and doesn't have a built-in mail client.

Otherwise there would not be any reason for the Opera setup program to set the default program for e-mail to Opera, which it does by default.

What Opera may do is to set itself as a software that can handle the mailto protocol.

Anyway, it wouldn't mess up with other programs data.