Do more on the web, with a fast and secure browser!

Download Opera browser with:

  • built-in ad blocker
  • battery saver
  • free VPN
Download Opera

After updating to Version 40.0.2308.62 (latest) i got this issue

  • Please tell me it can be disabled somewhere... I can't find it anywhere in settings, maybe I'm looking wrong.

    It seems to be something unrelated to this topic.

  • Please tell me it can be disabled somewhere... I can't find it anywhere in settings, maybe I'm looking wrong.

    It seems to be something unrelated to this topic.

    how is that not related to this topic? that's the whole point of this topic

  • how is that not related to this topic? that's the whole point of this topic

    This topic is about search engines keywords and not about search suggestions.

  • OK, it seems that I misunderstood the problem here.

    Well, if I just type y in the address bar, Opera autocompletes it with www.youtube.com.

    And this has been the behaviour since quite a while.

  • Here's how it works like for me: https://gfycat.com/ScalyInfiniteIbis

  • Here's how it works like for me: https://gfycat.com/ScalyInfiniteIbis

    OK, I've re-checked here and indeed if you press a letter associated with a search engine the auto-complete will not do anything.

    I don't know a way to change it and also don't know if it's a bug or something changed by design.

  • Oh, and search suggestions disappeared from the search bar (not the address bar!).
    Well, long time since I tried Vivaldi, got to switch to it again I guess 😉

  • This has to change. It's horrible. I've been enjoying opera, but this seemingly minor annoyance is pushing me very hard to move on to vivaldi. It's straight up hijacking my internet behaviour for the sake of a sponsor, I ain't havin' that.
    I understand won't get patched immediately, but I really hope the team doesn't let this carry on longer than necessary.

    Meanwhile, anyone got a solution available?

  • There is a way to change the letter assignments but its a pain in the butt. Give this a shot:

    1. Go to opera://about to learn your paths
    2. Close the browser
    3. Copy siteprefs.json from %installation-root%\profile to %installation-root%%opera-version%\resources
    4. In %installation-root% remove default_partner_content.json then rename *siteprefs.json to default_partner_content.json and set read-only access on it
    5. Remove default_partner_content.json from %installation-root%\profile

    This will blow out all of the built-in search engines except Google, which is a hardcoded fallback. You can now use any of the previously used letters for custom search engines. You can't make any of them your default search engines, though.

  • Yes! works like a charm. Good thing it was such an easy fix.
    Thanks.

  • There is a way to change the letter assignments but its a pain in the butt. Give this a shot:

    1. Go to opera://about to learn your paths
    2. Close the browser
    3. Copy siteprefs.json from %installation-root%\profile to %installation-root%%opera-version%\resources
    4. In %installation-root% remove default_partner_content.json then rename siteprefs.json* to **default_partner_content.json and set read-only access on it
    5. Remove default_partner_content.json from %installation-root%\profile
      This will blow out all of the built-in search engines except Google, which is a hardcoded fallback. You can now use any of the previously used letters for custom search engines. You can't make any of them your default search engines, though.

    Thank you but I'm unable to find the "profile" folder in my installation directory. There are only two folders with different Opera version, and also "Assets" and "old_status".

    EDIT: Nvm, it wasn't in %installation-root%, it was in a profile path (for the first and last path in these instructions). Now it works, thank you! A lot of work to turn off such a silly feature 🙂

  • Crap. It worked like a charm...
    After restarting my browser 2x it just comes back again. Even though stuff was set to read only 😨

  • Crap. It worked like a charm...
    After restarting my browser 2x it just comes back again. Even though stuff was set to read only 😨

    Oh, that's true. After a few reboots the workaround stopped working for me as well. Great...

Log in to reply