:tools: Scheduled maintenance

Heads up! Downtime for the Forums, related to the NodeBB upgrade, is planned for Thursday, December 14, starting from 10:00 UTC.
Please make sure to finish all your posts before this time. The downtime should only last for a few minutes.

Which file(s) contain the speed dials so I can back them up manually

• I have the latest version of Opera and I was told the speed dials are stored in the Bookmarks file. But when I save the Bookmarks file and re-install Opera and then recopy the Bookmarks file I don't get my saved speed dials. I need to be able to save the speed dials as I reformat my machine regularly and I don't want to save them in some unsafe cloud. Please help me to understand where the speed dials are saved and how I can make this work. Thanks

• Bookmarks Manager > Other Speed Dials.

• Please elaborate. I went into the Bookmarks Manager and chose Other Speed Dials. It is empty. It does not explain what can be done here. But ultimately I need to know where they store the Speed Dials on disc? In which directory and file?

• I went into the Bookmarks Manager and chose Other Speed Dials. It is empty

Usually when you do a new installation and use a backup of the Bookmarks file, your old Speed Dials go to 'Other Speed Dials'.

Make sure that you have pasted the file into the right place.

But ultimately I need to know where they store the Speed Dials on disc? In which directory and file?

In a files called 'Bookmarks' in Opera's profile folder (see Menu > About Opera for the path).

You could have found that info in Opera's Help page (Menu > Help or F1).

• Ok, so I tried what you suggested, and sure enough my backed-up Bookmarks file containing my speed dials appears in Other Speed dials. BUT now I have to move over 100 saved speed dials from here to the normal speed dials!!! AND all my settings disappeared. AND Opera put its promotional speed dials which I now have to delete. If I have to do this every week I will scrap Opera. There must be another way of saving everything. Maybe I should just zip up the entire directory and save it as is and then put it back when I need to??? Crazy that Opera does not have a means to allow you to back your things up.

• all my settings disappeared

Was Sync enabled? If so, your settings may be restored.

Maybe I should just zip up the entire directory and save it as is and then put it back when I need to???

It's usually the best thing to do.

• I need to be able to save the speed dials as I reformat my machine regularly and I don't want to save them in some unsafe cloud.

What about using a standalone installation?
    You could either toggle it on and from your harddrive or use an external drive then.

Looks like your connection to Opera forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.