Opera reverting to defaults when closed

• Hello, I am running Opera 38.0.2220.31 on Windows 10 Pro version 10.0.10586 Build 10586.

Whenever I close the browser, all settings, extensions, logged in sessions, cookies are lost and reloaded as defaults when I open Opera back again. The current browsing session, however, is saved and restored correctly.

Looking at the ...\Opera Stable\Extensions\ folder, I can see folders for extensions being created when I install them, but ignored when I restart Opera and deleted a few seconds afterwards.

If I manually delete the user profile folder, then data is kept if I restart the browser, but lost if I launch it after a system reboot.

What could be causing this? It started doing it out of the blue and I don't recall changing anything reasonably relevant on my system (like, say, .NET assemblies or whatnot).

• For the record, I switched to Opera Developer 40.0.2273.0 and the problem went away. It's mighty odd, though.

• Probably a broken profile? Or maybe something preventing Opera to write in the profile folder for the stable version?

Looks like your connection to Opera forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.