:tools: Scheduled maintenance

Heads up! Downtime for the Forums, related to the NodeBB upgrade, is planned for Thursday, December 14, starting from 10:00 UTC.
Please make sure to finish all your posts before this time. The downtime should only last for a few minutes.

How to backup and restore Opera settings/extensions/bookmarks etc

• Hello everyone

If I have the latest version of Opera, and I do a complete re-install of my entire computer, how can I ensure that I'm able to get most or all of my settings, extensions, bookmarks, etc back when I install Opera again?

As it happens, I have already installed everything anew, and the only thing I have is a backup of the old computer's App Data and Program Files folders. Simply copying all of those files back into the Opera Stable folder doesn't do the trick.

Thanks
    Samuel

• how can I ensure that I'm able to get most or all of my settings, extensions, bookmarks, etc back when I install Opera again?

Backup Opera's profile folder.

If you want to backup just something specific, take a look here

• As it happens, I have already installed everything anew, and the only thing I have is a backup of the old computer's App Data and Program Files folders. Simply copying all of those files back into the Opera Stable folder doesn't do the trick.

Under users/username/appdata/roaming/ (may be different depending on Windows version) you may find one or more Opera folders. Copying its data should have brought your data.

• Well, I think I'll need a little more help.

I backed up this:
    "C:\Users\MyName\AppData\Roaming\Opera Software\Opera Stable"
    from the previous computer, and on the current computer I copy/paste all of those files into this computer's
    "C:\Users\MyName\AppData\Roaming\Opera Software\Opera Stable"
    folder.

However, when I then start Opera, it tells me "Your preferences files are corrupt or invalid. Opera is unable to recover your settings."

Perhaps the fact that I used have Windows 10 and now have Windows 8.1 have something to do with it...?

The most important things to get back would be my bookmarks (even if in non-Opera format) and to be able to see a list of my extensions (so that I can download and install them again). However, the actual names of the extensions are not mentioned in e.g. the Extensions folder (just random-looking numbered folders).

Samuel

• Don't just past over the old folder with your backup. Delete that folder and paste the backup folder in its place.

• Perhaps the fact that I used have Windows 10 and now have Windows 8.1 have something to do with it...?

I guess this is a possibility. Or maybe your backup got corrupted somehow.

• The secret it to delete the C:\Users"Username"\AppData\Roaming\Opera Software folder and copy the new version in C:\Users"Username"\AppData\Roaming\ in its place. That made my Opera 42 on my new computer look and function exactly like my old computer.

Looks like your connection to Opera forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.