Opera mail is always starting with a compose window open

• I installed Opera Mail on a friend's Windows XP computer. It was working fine for quite a while, then recently he always gets a compose window open when he stats the program. I can delete the draft and close the window, and then close the program. Then when you restart the program, the compose window is there again. There must be a setting someplace that is telling it to open a compose window automatically but I can't find it. Anyone have an idea on how to stop this happening?

• Check to see if there are any command-line parameters on the link used to start Opera Mail. You should get a Compose window with a To address already filled in if there is a mailto: address there.

• If the command in the shortcut for Opera Mail is fine:

While Opera mail is closed, in the "sessions" folder in the preferences folder (see Menu -> help -> about Opera Mail for the location), delete autosave.win. If that doesn't work, rename operaprefs.ini in the preferences folder.

• Hello 🙂

I think this is the thread which concerns my problem too:

When I (re)start Opera Mail (Standalone) it always starts with the view an threads of the news-server. I would like it to start with the incoming, unread messages.

I followed your advices and deleted the autosave.win file. But no changes.

These are my settings in the command-line:

"C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Local\Opera Mail\operamail.exe"

No extra command??

What do you mean by renaming the operaprefs.ini file? Do you know the command in which this "start-up" screen is specified?

Thanks a lot for your help! 🙂 🙂

PS. I am using Opera since about 11-13 years now. Changing some "little" parameters in an ini file is no problem for me. As long as I know which one to what...

• Sorry...

Me again.

Problem seems to be solved! 🙂 🙂 In the first attempt I didn't pay attention to the fact that there is a autosave.win.bak to! One has to delete both files to get the wanted result!

The program probably opens this BAK(backup) file if the "original" (autosave.win) is not available?

Thanks a lot for showing me into the good direction to go! 🙂 🙂

• As the OP I haven't been back to my friend's house yet to try this out. Anyway, thanks for the tips. I don't think he would be able to follow me to do this over the phone so it will have to wait until I can get over there.

• Well, I finally was able to get over to my friends house. Deleting the autosave.win file did the trick.
    Thanks

Looks like your connection to Opera forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.