Link from Opera Mail doesn't do it in Opera Browser

  • Hi,

    a link in a mail that I click on in Opera Mail, is interpreted wrong in Opera Browser.
    It has to do with the wrong translation of a html-expression replacement, I suppose. It is for a German Umlaut in this case but I have the same fault with French characters (accent aigu or accent grave, trema etc.), too.

    If the link is ("xxxx" standing for the website's name):

    http://www.xxxx.com/gallery/view /%C3%BCbungs-portrait /?#comment-374493

    the result of Opera's translation is:

    http://www.xxxx.com/gallery/view /übungs-portrait /?#comment-374493

    whereas it would have to be:

    http://www.xxxx.com/gallery/view /übungs-portrait /?#comment-374493

    which results in a fault report of teh webpage, of course.

    When I copy and paste the link, everything works fine. Clicking on the link gives this fault.

    Can it really be possible that Opera generates SUCH a fault? I can hardly imagine :-/

    Help is very much appreciated, thanks in advance.

    Regards
    Wolfgang

  • The issue is due to the codepage that Opera presumes Windows is using. The original URL is using Unicode but Opera is interpreting it as one of Windows' 8-bit codepages.

  • Thanks sgunhouse.
    But this doesn't really help me. It is clear that the "signal" Opera Mail sends, must use the wrong codepage, because any browser (all the usual suspects) fails to open the link.

    But how can I change that? Is there anything I can change in an Opera-preferences-file?

    Would be fine if someone knows a solution.

  • What happens if you typed (or pasted) the URL on the command line - that is the question. Open a command prompt, type the name of a browser and then the URL, and see what happens.

    opera.exe "http://www.xxxx.com/gallery/view/%C3%BCbungs-portrait/?#comment-374493"
    

    If the email actually contained the umlaut and not the escape codes, it would probably have worked.

    You see, Opera mail isn't communicating directly with the browser, and the browser doesn't actually know where the URL came from - and therefore should interpret it the same as if you'd typed it on the command line.

    Strange ... this forum is changing the escape codes back to the character they represent.

  • Hi sgunhouse,

    the command prompt is not really my world ;-), so I tried that but ended up with only errors.

    But anyway, the problem is - simply said - the follwoing. I have got these mails for years now, because they come from a photoforum where I have been a member since 2010.

    As long as I used Opera 12.17 (with the inbuilt mailclient), everything went just fine. And by the way still does, if I use it. As I changed my PC hardware and upgraded to Win 10, I am now trying Opera 32 plus Opera Mail (standalone).

    And only this combination generates the described fault. So I would think that Opera Mail 1.040 must be the culprit. Don't you think so?

    Regards
    Wolfgang

  • You could ctrl + s the message in Opera Mail to save it as an mbs file, zip it up, upload it somewhere and provide a link for it for us to download. That way we can double check that everything is right in the message source and then try to reproduce it.

    Of course, if it is a bug in Opera Mail and not a problem with the message source encoding etc., there's nothing anyone can do about it as Opera Mail is no longer being developed.

  • Hi burnout (what's in a name? ;-)),

    I tried several things and yes, I have a mail to look at. I generated it by clicking into the header and choose "show header and message" (or so, I have only the German version).

    You can download it here:

    www.wuhphoto.eu/mailtext.txt

    Try it out, but in my opinion the mail is okay and there is a problem in Opera Mail.
    I am curious what you find out.

    Regards
    Wolfgang

  • Okay. Let me check.

  • Confirmed. It's just a bug in Opera Mail. Workaround is to right-click the link and choose "open". Not sure if there's a way to fix it for left-click, but I assume not.

  • Hi burnout,

    thanks for checking. And you found a solution I had never even thought of! Right click and "open" is so simple that I wonder why I didn't find this myself :-((

    Anyway, many thanks for this, now I can continue using O-Mail.

    Regards
    Wolfgang

Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to Opera forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.