Search Mail Not working
rmirob last edited by
I've been using Opera Mail for a year and a half. I gets lots of emails and make extensive use of Labels to keep things organized. I'm running windows 8.1 and Opera 1.0 Build 1040, and I'm using IMAP email powered by google mail on the back end. Having lots of local storage and search capabilities are very important to me as these are business emails that I may need to reference when offline.
In what may be an unrelated problem I recently had some other issues and had to click "low bandwidth mode" off and on a few times in order to work while Opera was resyncing with a bunch of emails (got a bunch of duplicate emails in my local client when I was done). This may have been related to me disabling some startup items via Glary Utilities to speed up my computer a bit.. timing does coincide... but for the life of me I can't identify anything I turned off that would in any way be related to Opera Mail.
Now, in addition to the large number of duplicates in my local client, the "search mail" function is basically useless. I see a spinning "working" icon in the search mail bar after trying to search forever, until I shut the client down and restart it, and I never get any actual results from searching, it just displays all the emails like it hasn't filtered anything.
- Is there some startup item that would not be recognizable as Opera-based that could really have caused this? If so, what?
- Is there an easy way to purge my local client email database of all emails and have it re-sync from the server from scratch without accidentally deleting everything from the server? I really don't have to have to rebuild all my labels from scratch.
Thanks in advance for any consideration!
leocg Moderator Volunteer last edited by
Is there an easy way to purge my local client email database of all emails and have it re-sync from the server from scratch without accidentally deleting everything from the server?
With Opera (Mail) closed, rename its mail folder. Then add your account again.
I really don't have to have to rebuild all my labels from scratch.
That method will also delete your labels.
The issue with serach may be a corrupted index. Rename the folder "lexicon" and see if it helps.
rmirob last edited by
Renaming "Lexicon" fixed the issue! Thank you so much!
einarflydal last edited by
I seem to have the same problem, i.e. a corrupted index, but this comment seems very useful, but a little too brief for me:
Where do I find the the folder "lexicon"? What should I do after renaming that folder? Set something somewhere to make Opera Mail discover where it is?
(I understand this should be elementary, but not to me...)
burnout426 Volunteer last edited by
You can just delete the "lexicon" folder while Opera is closed and Opera will automatically create it again and automatically rebuild the search index. The lexicon folder is in the "mail" folder. See "Menu -> help -> about Opera" in Opera to find the location of the mail folder.
You then just browse to the "mail" folder in windows explorer. When you're in Windows Explorer though, press alt to bring up the menu bar, click "tools", goto "folder options" and switch to the "view" tab. There you'll want to check "show hidden files and folders". Also, you'll want to uncheck "hide extensions for known file types".