:tools: Scheduled maintenance

Heads up! Downtime for the Forums, related to the NodeBB upgrade, is planned for Thursday, December 14, starting from 10:00 UTC.
Please make sure to finish all your posts before this time. The downtime should only last for a few minutes.

How exactly does the "Predict network actions to improve page load performance" option works?

• And what I'm especially interested in is does it use Google in any way? I especially changed my default search engine to DDG to not use Google. But I wondered about this option, what network actions does it use?

• It does not use google. The gist of it (if I understand it correctly) is that it follows the links on the webpage you are currently on and pre-loads them. So if you are on a news site's home page it will try and load some of the articles on that page so, if you click on one, it loads faster.

• lando, the news web sites that I frequent have literally dozens and dozens of links.

How does it know what links to load?

That sounds like a ridiculous waste of bandwidth.

• Given that it says "predict network actions", it seems likely to me that there's more to it than just burning bandwidth to open a list of links.

Looks like your connection to Opera forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.