transferring 'CONTACTS'

• I recently got a new computer, with Windows8, and downloaded Opera 12.16. There appeared to be some incompatibility, and I switched to Chrome. (My previous computer had had WindowsXP and Opera 12)

I had enabled Opera-Link, which helped me transfer Mail and Bookmarks. But it did not transfer my Contacts; they are still in my Opera browser, in an .adr file. I am now getting my @operamail.com mail through Fastmail on Chrome, but cannot access my Contacts for composing and sending.

• You should have downloaded current Opera version (26) instead...

• Try this page, written by a (former? current?) Opera employee, which will allow you to convert your contacts.adr file to one of the more standard database formats.

http://www.hallvord.com/opera/adr2tab.htm

• I followed Hallvord's advice, but wound up with a long regular text list of my many contacts, which I saved in a .docx document.

Now, How can I convert that .docx list into a computer-usable file that will allow me to click on a specific name to open 'Compose'?

• Computer-usable? You want it usable by Fastmail, not on your own computer. What does their Import option support?

(For most services, CSV - comma-seperated values - is a better choice; it sounds like you picked Tab-delimited.)

• please explain CVS: how do I pick CVS, and how and where did I pick Tab-limited?

And what is the consequence - and advantage - of picking either one?

• See ...

Select your output format:
    TAB-separated
    Comma-separated OperaMail-compatible headers

(That's in item 2 on the page.)

As there's that checkbox in the second option for "OperaMail-compatible headers", you probably want that as well.

• I'm sorry I'm dense. You say 'See...' - see what? Where do I find 'Output Format'?

As I said earlier, I'm not tech-savvy, but I am eager to learn!

Thank you for your patience.

• On that page above, of course. And when you save the file, use the extension ".csv".

Looks like your connection to Opera forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.