Do more on the web, with a fast and secure browser!

Download Opera browser with:

• built-in ad blocker
  • battery saver
  • free VPN
Download Opera
  • @leocg Please, I'm new in this forum, (long user fedora linux and about 4 months using opera). Could you tell me where are the solutions. Videos working just for youtube. Anyewhere else (Canva, Facebook, twitter,...). I'm webdesigner and videomaker, without this opera is unuseless for me. I'm working for months only with Opera. Please, tell me it was not a very big mistake. How can I solve this. The upgrade to fedora 34 was ok, the problem came after this, in a opera browser update. Can you help me, please? Thank you

• @borealdesign In this topic you can find some, as well as a link to the main topic about the subject, that also contains some solutions.

• Problem: Video/streaming on websites can't start/don't work with Opera for Linux till now

Linux: Please help for Opera 76 (for Linux) for streaming and video support like with Chromium 91 Browser (for Linux)

Easier Streaming, video and flash(switch on/off) support (HTML 5/Flash) like with Chromium Browser 91 (for Linux):

Please help supporting for Opera for Linux (in further Opera for Linux settings eventually possible to switch on (flash) streaming and video possibilities as option, or as addon ?) like with Chromium 91 (for Linux) with Flash and Streaming possibiltiy for internet streaming and video sites like Zattoo.com, wilmaa.com and also on dvd trailer sites (links below).

Many thanks !

Kind regards

mailing17@yahoo.com

Links:

http://zattoo.com

http://www.dvdtrailertube.com

• @mtompset Thank you

• I've been using Opera for several years but reluctantly will be moving on to a different browser because of Opera not being able to play many videos due to missing codecs. I keep hearing that it is because of legal reasons which I can't understand. Other browsers such as Firefox, Vivaldi, etc. apparently don't have this legal problem. Why can't this be resolved? Opera is great is all other aspects. 😞

• @ercouper To be able to play proprietary codecs by itself, Opera needs to have a license that may be very expensive. For that reason, Opera relies on the OS to be able to play media that uses those codecs.
    On Windows and Mac things are more easy, but Linux being more decentralized makes things a little more complicated.

By the way, Firefox has the license. Don't know about Vivaldi but it seems to be in the same situation as Opera.

• @leocg I'm surprised this license is more affordable for Vivaldi than for Opera (which I thought should be much richer company) :).
    Moreover if the licence is not affordable why this lib works well in the snap version then?

• @ipa As far as I know, Vivaldi doesn't have the license.

Regarding the snap version, the codecs are provided by Canonical: https://blogs.opera.com/desktop/2018/08/opera-54-0-2952-71-stable-update/

• FYI @leocg I just tried out of the box and Vivaldi works. Also there are number of other people confirming the same.

Thanks regarding snap.. I'd consider switching there.

• @ipa I didn't say that it doesn't work in Vivaldi, I said that they don;'t have the license as far as I know.

• How can you play Youtube videos?
    Opera version 79.0.4143.72. Linux Mint 20.2 Uma

Substitution of the libffmpeg.so file no longer works.

Is it really hard for developers to solve this long-standing problem, or might it be time to uninstall Opera and switch to another browser?

• @pak-a As already said, it's a legal issue and I guess there is nothing that developers can do about it. Only thing would be, maybe, to delay the Linux releases to avoid version conflicts of the libffmpeg.so