Do more on the web, with a fast and secure browser!

Download Opera browser with:

  • built-in ad blocker
  • battery saver
  • free VPN
Download Opera

So what is Opera's target audience now?

  • I love it too, and now there are the new products in Android, iOS, OS X, Windows.

  • Over the past year Opera's desktop users have fallen from 55 million to 51 million.
    60 million in 1st quarter of 2012, 52 in 2nd quarter of 2013 - that was with Opera PRESTO, before 15 even existed.

    Less than 50% of them are actually using the Blink version.
    Wrong. "Major part of user base is now on the new product" (Opera Software Q4 2013 financial report PDF)

    Opera 15+ vs. All Opera-Presto
    Respectively 0.79% (Blink) and 0.61% (Presto)

    (Bar graph spreadsheet for last 6 weeks from StatCounter)

    On W3Schools' statistics last month available Blink has 0.6% and Presto 0.4%.

  • I love it too, and now there are the new products in Android, iOS, OS X, Windows.

    Sorry sidney, but you come under 'Current Users' with Jeff.

    Opera must be targeting someone else?

    I use Maxthon, so maybe I'm their target audience?

  • I think the new browser is super. It's fast, delightful, open to many more extension than the Presto version. Opera is aiming for the market with mobile, tablet, etc. (Android and IOS) AND desktop. They're admirably ambitious, have won quite a few awards already, and are off to a great start.

  • Definitely not the regular desktop users. They basically told them to f* off when they decided to move to Chrome engine... without reimplemented the features in 12/Presto that made people go to Opera in the first place!

    Basically, Opera is now just a GUI. They have no CONTROL over what lies beneath. That is up to Google et al to decide. GUI's don't make a browser. Who wants just a fancy GUI anyways?

    (Btw, what pissses me off the most in the new Opera is the horrendous "downloads" tab. Just amazes me how useless those big tiles are!)

  • That's totally wrong, hirobo. They gave regular desktop a fast, more html compliant browser, capable of accessing better, far more websites and able to make use of a significantly larger number of extension (an area that in the future will just keep growing). It has the greatest speed dial (with folders) on the whole damn planet!!! in addition to what's tantamount to a super duper RSS feed that comes built in -- Discover -- covering numerous subject areas, languages and countries. You can not only enjoy and learn about what's happening in your own country, but learn from the perspective of many other countries. It truly is a "discover" bonanza. That's not to mention Stash, and Off-Road mode. Is Opera the only company that cares if your computer isn't a million dollar deal, you get your internet by dial-up modem (you know, people still do), or your wifi signal is weak? Opera deserves kudos for doing what other browsers (some with their fat cat or lazy suburbanite clientele) won't do or care about.

  • ^ Buddy, most of the features you cited are already present in Google Chrome. If I want to use Chrome, I'd go to Google, not a cheap lookalike. Opera 12 will be the last version of Opera I use. I will have FireFox for any other website that doesn't play nicely with 12.

    Says a lot when I'd rather use FireFox than Opera Next!

  • I listed, hirobo2, a lot of uniques Opera features. And in addition to offering a significantly improved browser, Opera lets those who like what they had keep it. Opera Presto is still a download from the Opera website. For those who prefer Presto, I'm delighted it's available. I used that browser for years, and yes, I liked it too. So let's all be happy and sing Kumbaya. Let's be happy that those who love Presto (with its features) and those who love Blink with its speed, access to extension, super speed dial, etc. both have something they can smile about.

  • Over the past year Opera's desktop users have fallen from 55 million to 51 million.
    60 million in 1st quarter of 2012, 52 in 2nd quarter of 2013 - that was with Opera PRESTO, before 15 even existed.
    Less than 50% of them are actually using the Blink version.
    Wrong. "Major part of user base is now on the new product" (Opera Software Q4 2013 financial report PDF)
    Opera 15+ vs. All Opera-Presto
    Respectively 0.79% (Blink) and 0.61% (Presto)
    (Bar graph spreadsheet for last 6 weeks from StatCounter)
    On W3Schools' statistics last month available Blink has 0.6% and Presto 0.4%.

    Here we go again.

    First off, your first source does not separate mobile and desktop. It also neglects any Presto usage beyond 2013.

    Next, your bar graph is indecipherable.

    Wiki visits are a far greater gauge as it is one of the most visited sites

    February 2014 - Desktop 1.50% - Mobile 1.27% - Total 2.77%
    January 2014 - Desktop 1.51% - Mobile 1.32% - Total 2.38%

    February 2013 - Desktop 2.57% - Mobile 1.21% - Total 3.78%
    January 2013 - Desktop 2.72% Mobile - 1.16% Total - 3.88%

    January 2012 - Desktop 3.94% - Mobile 1.21% - Total 5.15%

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_web_browsers

  • Basically, Opera is now just a GUI. They have no CONTROL over what lies beneath. That is up to Google et al to decide.

    Wrong. Chromium is open-source and they can and do modify anything they want.
    On top of that they even contribute code upstream.

    GUI's don't make a browser.

    They make. Otherwise Opera, Yandex, Sleipnir, Maxthon and others would be 100% equal to Chromium. Seamonkey, K-Meleon, Cyberfox, etc, would be equal to Firefox. Etc. And there would be no point in using them. Which is not true.
    And that's not even the complete picture, as even though Opera is based on Chromium the engine is a little different (some parts are disabled or different, and there are unique features and experiments like tab hibernation, etc).

  • Over the past year Opera's desktop users have fallen from 55 million to 51 million.
    60 million in 1st quarter of 2012, 52 in 2nd quarter of 2013 - that was with Opera PRESTO, before 15 even existed.
    Less than 50% of them are actually using the Blink version.
    Wrong. "Major part of user base is now on the new product" (Opera Software Q4 2013 financial report PDF)
    Opera 15+ vs. All Opera-Presto
    Respectively 0.79% (Blink) and 0.61% (Presto)
    (Bar graph spreadsheet for last 6 weeks from StatCounter)
    On W3Schools' statistics last month available Blink has 0.6% and Presto 0.4%.

    Here we go again.
    First off, your first source does not separate mobile and desktop. It also neglects any Presto usage beyond 2013.
    Next, your bar graph is indecipherable.
    Wiki visits are a far greater gauge as it is one of the most visited sites
    February 2014 - Desktop 1.50% - Mobile 1.27% - Total 2.77%
    January 2014 - Desktop 1.51% - Mobile 1.32% - Total 2.38%
    February 2013 - Desktop 2.57% - Mobile 1.21% - Total 3.78%
    January 2013 - Desktop 2.72% Mobile - 1.16% Total - 3.88%
    January 2012 - Desktop 3.94% - Mobile 1.21% - Total 5.15%
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_web_browsers

    I formatted that much nicer. Oddly, quoting it seems to have it the way I originally wrote it. Let's see how it looks, pressing post comment.....

  • Over the past year Opera's desktop users have fallen from 55 million to 51 million.
    60 million in 1st quarter of 2012, 52 in 2nd quarter of 2013 - that was with Opera PRESTO, before 15 even existed.
    Less than 50% of them are actually using the Blink version.
    Wrong. "Major part of user base is now on the new product" (Opera Software Q4 2013 financial report PDF)
    Opera 15+ vs. All Opera-Presto
    Respectively 0.79% (Blink) and 0.61% (Presto)
    (Bar graph spreadsheet for last 6 weeks from StatCounter)
    On W3Schools' statistics last month available Blink has 0.6% and Presto 0.4%.

    Here we go again.
    First off, your first source does not separate mobile and desktop. It also neglects any Presto usage beyond 2013.
    Next, your bar graph is indecipherable.
    Wiki visits are a far greater gauge as it is one of the most visited sites
    February 2014 - Desktop 1.50% - Mobile 1.27% - Total 2.77%
    January 2014 - Desktop 1.51% - Mobile 1.32% - Total 2.38%
    February 2013 - Desktop 2.57% - Mobile 1.21% - Total 3.78%
    January 2013 - Desktop 2.72% Mobile - 1.16% Total - 3.88%
    January 2012 - Desktop 3.94% - Mobile 1.21% - Total 5.15%
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_web_browsers

    I formatted that much nicer. Oddly, quoting it seems to have it the way I originally wrote it. Let's see how it looks, pressing post comment.....

    Nope, even worse

  • This thread is what is Opera's target Audience. That Audience is those who want a better browser. And as was noted even when Opera 17 was reviewed, Opera Blink is a better browser.

    "A lot has changed with Opera since we last tested browsers twelve months ago. Since then Opera have switched from using their own "Presto" rendering engine to instead using the same engine as Chrome. Whilst this change has been received with mixed reviews by Opera users, with some unhappy that many of Opera's original features were dropped, our tests results actually show that the "new" Opera is a browser to be reckoned with outperforming Internet Explorer 11, Firefox 25, and Safari 5 in our tests. Opera 17 came top in 3 out of our 15 tests, and runner up in 6. The browser also secured highly on HTML5/CSS3 compliance and in our aggregated Javascript performance tests . . ." (Of course, we are now at Opera 21 as the last stable version).

    They also noted that if you keep the browser open a lot, Opera Blink is the best choice because "initial page loads are the quickest of all the browsers tested."

    http://www.slideshare.net/MID_AS/browser-performance-tests

  • First off, your first source does not separate mobile and desktop.

    Nope. Both Opera's financial quarter presentation and StatCounter are mentioning only desktop users/usage.

    It also neglects any Presto usage beyond 2013.

    WTH? How so?

    Next, your bar graph is indecipherable.

    Set to bar and download the .csv spreadsheet then you can see the % of more browser versions.

    Wiki visits are a far greater gauge as it is one of the most visited sites

    Of course, because the official number counted by Opera Software and any other sources that prove you wrong are wrong. You can't accept them because if you do you won't be able to troll and spread FUD here right!?

  • most of the features you cited are already present in Google Chrome
    You are illiterate.

    Read this comparison of Opera vs Chrome:
    https://forums.opera.com/post/31150

  • First off, your first source does not separate mobile and desktop.
    Nope. Both Opera's financial quarter presentation and StatCounter are mentioning only desktop users/usage.
    It also neglects any Presto usage beyond 2013.
    WTH? How so?
    Next, your bar graph is indecipherable.
    Set to bar and download the .csv spreadsheet then you can the the % of more browser versions.
    Wiki visits are a far greater gauge as it is one of the most visited sites
    Of course, because the official number counted by Opera Software is wrong and also any other sources that prove you wrong. You can't accept them because if you do you won't be able to troll and spread FUD here right!?

    So Wikipedia stats are wrong and/or lies? They are just trolling Opera then? smh

  • I'm not sure it has a target market. Look at their own marketing:

    http://www.opera.com/computer

    You certainly can't tell much from "the fast and free alternative web browser" or "Opera. Made for your computer/phone/tablet". They don't even bother to try and explain things like Stash in any detail at least not anywhere that I could find. And then there's meaningless drivel like this:

    [quote]
    Browse with style. Opera's interface combines precision and quality. Integrating modern style with powerful features, Opera gives you the freedom to truly open the web and explore.
    [/quote]

    But it truly isn't for power users, as they've basically abandoned us.

  • Nahhhh, you['re not abandoned, drewfx. Opera still has Opera 12.17 as a download. It offers Opera Blink AND Opera Presto. It's working on improving Opera 21, and there may be a time when you'll want to make a change. If you were abandoned, Opera would cut off the donwload of Presto. As for the marketing by Opera, that's just sales talk. All the browser entities use generalizations like that, you know, sort of like love talk -- haha, "sweet nothings."

  • So Wikipedia stats are wrong and/or lies? They are just trolling Opera then? smh

    I don't know. I'm not even going to access the article you posted. The point is the actual number of active users is already counted and made available by Opera Software, if Wikipedia or any other entity shows something different that skews from that count it may not be a "lie" but of course its source is INACCURATE.

  • On the Wikipedia article in almost a year and 1/3 on global desktop usage statistics -- from January 2012 to April 2014 -- Opera is at the highest it had been for any month. The article lists Opera as a browser they might be underestimating for a number of reasons, but including: "While most browsers generate additional page hits by refreshing web pages when the user navigates back through page history, some browsers (such as Opera) reuse cached content without resending requests to the server.". Alos, since website hits under a browser can be a basis for the statistics, if a website blocks a browser (and Opera is one that is a good number of times blocked) (there's the phenomenon of browser sniffing, which many opera users are familair with) the data can underestimate a browser's share of market. And Chrome usage has gone up incredibly. Could hits by the Opera browser be mistaken for Chrome, since they use the same engine. It's possible to me.

Log in to reply