Do more on the web, with a fast and secure browser!

Download Opera browser with:

• built-in ad blocker
  • battery saver
  • free VPN
Download Opera

VPN preference for new Private Window

• In a normal window I can right click a link to open in a new private window. However the option to turn on VPN is only available after the plain link is opened.

The workaround is to open a new, empty private window, turn on VPN and copy & paste the URL.

Opera seems to have only one setting for VPN which applies to all tabs, private or not.

• I agree. When I first started using Opera I expected this behavior since it had VPN built-in, but it turned out that I had to enable it manually and then start using the Private mode...

• A private window shouldn't remember anything, including settings.

It can use some settings from the normal window.

• @leocg said in VPN preference for new Private Window:

A private window shouldn't remember anything, including settings.

It can use some settings from the normal window.

A private window has access to my history, etc. I would be quite happy if nothing was inherited.

I would argue that the VPN setting is an attribute of the window rather than any of the sites accessed through it.

My proposal was driven by the observation that I have never used a private window with VPN turned off. For me it is an inconvenience to have to follow extra steps every time.

Looks like your connection to Opera forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.