USA Today: Its 102% faster with ads!

• I clicked on this link and when it didn't load I turned off the built in Opera adblocker which made the site work.. Noticed a big difference in the load time so I ran the Opera speed test.

http://imgur.com/a/Qsf1d

This got me to thinking. Since websites seem to know when I have an adblocker running why don't they just intentionally slow the load time down.

• ... Since websites seem to know when I have an adblocker running why don't they just intentionally slow the load time down.

Some do, even using prominent count-down timer displays in a few cases. Other sites quickly kill or fade out the page image if you're using an ad blocker. Still others overlay the sought-after page with a full-size notice that you have to turn off your ad-blocker to view the page. The techniques are endless...

However, depending on how the ad-blocking is accomplished, it can indeed slow down a page load depending on what the browser then does with the graphics space normally occupied by the ad.

Looks like your connection to Opera forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.